SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 3 June 2012

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee!!!

See all events here: http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/

I feel sad that my mother wanted to go to Holme Jubilee party in the village hall today, but when the 'Link' magazine arrived a few weeks back with form to fill in, to ask if you wanted to attend, my father was taken seriously ill at the time and she forgot to fill it in. The 'tea-party' is now fully booked. My parents have lived in the village for 48 years. I know the form had to be filled in on time, as understandably the organisers need numbers etc, but I still really feel for her. She doesn't normally attend the village events nowadays, but does like to attend sometimes. I think she feels that she doesn't really know many people in the village now, as there are so few families left now that live here permanently - the same all along the coast and in many places nowadays - how times have changed.

I remember as a family attending the 'Silver Jubilee' party at Holme and entering the fancy dress competition as Queen and my two sisters were dressed as page boys
! All the children were issued with a silver jubilee medal, which I still have somewhere. It was a spectacular day and I remember it fondly as I do of all my day's living in Holme, especially of my primary school (now weekend cottage) with Mr Mick Ramsey (sadly now deceased last year) who was the Headmaster and Mrs June Story who taught the 'Little Class' and all of the children and of course (goes without saying) spending every day I could being with my father at Holme Bird Observatory.

I was just looking at the Holme website when I noticed that this Tuesday you can climb the church tower - Wow! I have always wanted to climb that tower! (adjacent to the primary school that I attended)

I haven't really organised myself at all for the jubilee celebrations. I have just sent a congratulatory message to the Queen via her website and received a thank you email in return. I think she is an amazing lady - its bl**dy hard work, smiling for 60 years!!! Well actually 86 years!!! My father was born the same year, he will be 86 in November. The celebrations on TV look spectacular and the Queen looks amazing for her age.

I am very much looking forward to the concert organised by the BBC and Gary Barlow on BBC1 at 7.30pm on Monday. Confirmed acts are: Gary Barlow, Shirley Bassey, Alfie Bo, Renee Fleming, Jools Holland, Jessie J, will.i.am, JLS, Elton John, Grace Jones, Tom Jones, Lang Lang, Annie Lennox, Madness, Paul McCartney, Kylie Minogue, Cliff Richard, Ed Sheeran, Robbie Williams and Stevie Wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment