SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 29 March 2022

WHITE-TAILED LAPWING At RSPB Frampton Marsh!

 
WHITE-TAILED LAPWING
RSPB Frampton Marsh Reserve
 

I have already seen the fabulous White-tailed Lapwing at Blacktoft Sands RSPB Reserve on 2nd November 2021 on route back from Shetland, but my views were distant and in poor light. Frampton Marsh RSPB is the same distance from King's Lynn as it is from here to Cley, so this afternoon I decided to try and get better views of the White-tailed Lapwing. 34 miles later and I was in the car park watching Goldfinches in the trees. It was dull when I left King's Lynn, but the skies were much brighter here and the sun came out later on!

I really should visit this wonderful reserve more regularly – far less people around than any reserve in Norfolk and huge numbers of birds. Its so long since I have been here and I couldn't remember where East Hide was, but was soon given helpful directions from a member of staff at the centre. It was cold, but refreshing and good to be out, as I have not had a particularly good weekend.

Little Egret fishing at Frampton RSPB

 

So many birds on the pools, including Black-headed Gulls, Med Gulls, Avocets, Shelduck, Teal, Wigeon, Shoveler, Mallards, Pochard, Tufted Ducks, one Goldeneye, Moorhens, Coot, Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Greylag Geese, Brent Geese, Spotted Redshank, Snipe x 2, Little Egrets, Starling flocks and Marsh Harriers x 2.


WHITE-TAILED LAPWING 
RSPB Frampton Marsh Reserve
 

From East Hide I had stunning views of the White-tailed Lapwing in the sunshine – I managed a short phone-scoped video, before it was flushed by a gull and then ended up much closer, but nearly always behind cut reeds, which was a little frustrating for photography! I also had a Common Sandpiper, Pied Wagtails x 2 and a Reed Bunting. There were two birders in the hide when I arrived, they left, another two arrived and left and I ended up on my own until 5.50pm – can you imagine that at Titchwell or Cley?!

Happy Penny!

Back at the car park, two of the birders who I had met in East Hide, kindly told me about the pair of Garganey that could be seen distantly from here. Set up my scope by the visitor centre and found the sleeping pair of Garganey! A fabulous end to the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment