SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 18 January 2022

New Year Update and Titchwell RSPB!

I have not been very well over the last weeks, which is why there has been a huge lack of personal updates and birding news from me. Apart from being at work, I've hardly left the house, which is unusual for me. I did go to see the Waxwing at Sculthorpe Moor Nature Reserve around a week ago, can't remember exact date, although I think it was the 11th January – I arrived late afternoon and as soon as I pulled up in the car park, the Waxwing was showing, perched in a bush next to the reception centre, I ambled across the car park to take a picture, but a lady got out of her car and the Waxwing duly flew off and landed in a hawthorn on the other side of the road. The light was dire, so didn't get any pictures – I didn't think it was worth posting about, being as it was the only bird I saw!

Today, well this afternoon, I finally got out for a short birding trip to Titchwell RSPB. Considering my short time there, I did quite well really. Along the Fen trail, a birder said he thought he had seen the Siberian Chiffchaff in amongst the Long-tailed Tit flock – after a short while of scanning through the tit flock I saw a Chiffchaff, but couldn't be 100% it was the Siberian Chiffchaff, as the light was rubbish and I only saw it high up in the willows against white/grey sky, plus it was moving around like lightening and I didn't hear it call at all. Also saw a Goldcrest and a Robin here.

On Patsy's Pool, there were a pair of Mute Swans, Pintails x 2, several Wigeon and Teal, Greylag Geese, Cormorants and 2 Marsh Harriers. In the newly cleared dyke opposite the weather station I accidentally flushed a Water Rail whilst watching a Hedge Sparrow. Made my way to the main path out to the beach. Found a Stonechat perched on a reed stem just west of the main path and a bit further along 2 Little Egrets were on the marsh. The sunset was absolutely stunning and it felt so good to be out again.

The freshmarsh was packed full of roosting birds! On the new islands it was fabulous to see so many Golden Plover close up. Also loads of Lapwings, Avocets x 11, a Heron, Black-headed Gulls, Shovelers, more Pintail, Teal, Wigeon, Shelducks, Oystercatchers, Greylag Geese and Starlings. Further along on the Volunteer Marsh, there were a good number of Dunlin feeding, along with more Teal and Wigeon. A Hen Harrier (ringtail) flew low over the path in front of me and headed out to Thornham Point, which was a nice surprise.

The highlight of the afternoon was a huge orange moon over the sea, whilst watching birds feeding along the shore line, including Oystercatchers and gulls. It was almost dark – the sunset was at its best now, red streaks through dark and light skies filled the horizon. I could just about see to walk back along the bank! The orange moon silhouetted over the islands and water – I attempted to photograph this, but couldn't replicate what I saw with a naked eye. Two Robins were feeding along the path on the way back, even though it was almost dark! It was 5.25pm when I returned to the car park. The evenings are getting a lighter, thank goodness.

I have next week off, as have to use holiday up before the end of March – if you don't take it before the 31st, you lose it. I decided my birthday week was as good as any to have off! Plus it means there will be less chance of me catching Covid (again)!

Now, the big question is, do I book Shetland again in the Autumn, do I go somewhere else for a change, do I stay in Norfolk and maybe save my pennies and move north?! Decisions, decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment