SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 16 April 2022

Roydon Common NWT!

I have not been to Roydon Common for a long time, mostly because its a bit too close to King's Lynn and therefore generally has far too many unruly dogs being walked for my liking. I had a lovely walk there this morning in hope of seeing last night's amazing count of 20 Ring Ouzels! Apart from one man with two dogs off leads and batting a tennis ball with tennis racket for them to run, collect and return, everyone else's dogs were all on leads, I was very impressed to see. Although most dogs were on very long leads, which they maybe would have shortened, if they were fully aware of Adders on site, which is highlighted on the information boards.

I couldn't believe how hot it was and I made the mistake of wearing a coat! I only managed ONE Ring Ouzel and in flight distantly over the far ridge, but still nice to see. At least three Common Buzzards circling in the thermals and a cracking Yellowhammer in a hawthorn was bird of the day. Three Wheatears were in the far field beyond the ridge, as highlighted to me by a lovely couple I met who read my blog. A Whitethroat was singing and watched at close range. Saw several pairs of Stonechats, Carrion Crows, Robin, Hedge Sparrow, Red Kite, Reed Bunting and a pair of Mallards. There were good numbers of Brimstone Butterflies, Tortoiseshell Butterflies and one Red Admiral. I searched hard in hope of seeing an Adder but no luck.

Back at my car, I was just departing from the car park, when I stopped the car. An Adder had obviously been attempting to cross the road, just outside the car park and had its head squashed by a car (presumably). I picked it up and moved it to the verge, which made me a little nervous as it still felt very much alive, so it must have only happened moments ago – it was a beautiful male, very sad.

Returned home to do some chores and intended on going somewhere else local birding this afternoon, but I ran out of time. I spent a long time photographing my old Swarovski bincolulars which I am now selling, see next post and also a Manfrotto tripod. Saw a Holly Blue Butterfly in the garden this afternoon.

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

2 comments:

  1. I've just 'rediscovered' Roydon Common and had some wonderful walks around there recently. Met some wonderful fellow birders and been enjoying the huge vistas. I love the view from the old observation tower and makes me chuckle a bit as I look over supposedly flat boring Norfolk! We saw the ring ouzel yesterday too which was a first. Always good to read about your days out. Shame about the adder. Enjoy your Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny, I had the very unusual experience of a female ring ouzel on my bird table yesterday. First time I ever saw one in my garden. I have a good picture, taken through the kitchen window which I have posted on Instagram under Tonybrooksnaturepics.

    ReplyDelete