SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 15 April 2012

Not a normal day......

I had to cancel my shifts for today (yesterday) - I had no choice. I hate letting people down and especially when its my own ward where I should have been working on as a nursing auxiliary (my second job). One can only mentally cope with so much and I was needed today. My father was taken seriously ill and I have had so little sleep and have been in such a state that I feel I am losing my mind. I HAD to take time out today and late this afternoon I decided to go to Titchwell, just to get some air. I arrived in the carpark, but couldn't get out of the car - I just sat there. A robin flitted about in front of me and a cute little bank vole scurried along a branch. I shut my eyes - time passed and I eventually forced myself out of the car. I couldn't walk my normal speed and ambled along in a daze. It was sunny, but a bitterly cold north wind cut through you. There were 4 beautiful, summer plumage Spotted Redshanks amongst the usual waders, avocets etc. A magical scene of loads of swallows, house martins and sand martins skimming over the pools and also a Red-crested Pochard was seen distantly. From Parrinder hide there were shovelers, tufted ducks, teal, gadwall, shelducks, pied wagtails feeding along the muddy bank and a single greylag and canada goose grazing on the bank. Several brent geese, loads of avocets, gulls etc and also 2 Med gulls flew across the hide. I walked up to the beach and scanned the sea - seriously cold here and a sand storm blowing - saw a Red-breasted Merganser flying east, but little else aside from the usual sanderling, turnstones, gulls along the shoreline. Back at the carpark, several blackcaps were singing before I left.

Nature helps so much in difficult times. I would also like to thank Sophie, colleagues at work and friends for their support over the last few days X

4 comments:

  1. Really sorry to hear this Penny. I hope that they pull through. And you're right nature does help, I don't why, but it does. Kind Regards, Seumus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoy the Blog Penny. Nature has provided me with sanity and escape on more than a few occasions when serious personal dilemmas have arisen. The thing is not to allow the tendency to feel guilty by using the temporary escape it gives you as it's the thing that ensures your ability , afterwards, to help others. Best of luck.
    John Armitage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right Penny, nature has always been the best medicine for me when I have been down in the dumps from time to time. Take care and hope things pick up a bit soon. Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all very much for your kinds words and support.

      Best Wishes

      Penny

      Delete