SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 25 October 2020

A Glorious Afternoon At EAST HILLS, Wells!

 
East Hills, Wells-next-Sea

 

I just can't believe how many people are here in October, its crazy! It was a gloriously sunny day, and the traffic was insane! The scene at Wells-next-Sea looked like an August bank holiday and Lady Anne's Drive at Holkham was jam-packed! To escape the crowds visiting the Norfolk coast, I decided to go to East Hills at Wells, this was a brilliant move!

I was so happy that I had escaped all this mayhem. I didn't expect there to be any rare birds on a south west wind, but you never know what to expect in October! I had already decided that I probably wouldn't see a single bird out on East Hills, but surprisingly I was wrong. I had my lunch with me and coffee, no naughty snacks, no chocolate and no cake! I spent four peaceful hours here, with not another birder in sight!

Goldcrest amongst the sycamore leaves at East Hills
 
Redwing just as I was leaving at East Hills

 
Birds seen at East Hills were: 4 Goldfinches, a Meadow Pipit, 2 Magpies, a Great Spotted Woodpecker, a Blackbird, a Redwing, a Robin, at least a dozen Goldcrests, a Chaffinch, Little Egrets x 2 and bird of the day was a Woodcock which I flushed from the leaf litter underneath a sycamore just before I left. Frustratingly I had a nano second view of an Owl sp. fly from a tall dead tree stump after I came out of the sycamore glade – I searched for the owl everywhere, but did not see it again – from recent sightings from others, it was probably a Tawny Owl. The light was beautiful out here, like a Summer's day almost! There were lots of Brent Geese in the harbour and beyond I could see loads of people distantly on the beach at Wells. I found lots of funky fungi out here, some spiders were also seen and some irritating whining flies.
Wells Beach
 

Later at Wells Quay, there were 11 Pied Wagtails feeding along the edge of the mud flats along with Brent Geese and gulls. From the A149 at Holkham, a Marsh Harrier flushed waders from the scrapes and I could see loads of Cormorants roosting in the trees along with Little Egrets. I stopped in the pull over area at Burnham Overy to try and see the Rough-legged Buzzard, but it was distant and now out of view I was told by another birder. Nice to bump into Dave H. and his wife, who I haven't seen for ages. Drove home via Burnham Market and Flitcham.

Fell asleep when I got home and then decided to make a Tofu stir fry for my tea – then made a nut roast. I hate the clocks going back, it will be almost dark when I finish work tomorrow. My last full week at work and then four days off, can't wait!

1 comment: