SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Urgent car decisions and advice please?

I have been massively stressed this week about my car, what to do, auction it, leave it on the drive for while and declare it SORN, while I take more time to find another car. It will cost £709 to sort my car out and that's with a second hand CAT which the garage would have to source - dead money. Trade it in for a new car etc etc. I am seriously thinking of buying a very, very, boringly, sensible NEW car - a Skoda, Fabia 1.6 TDI CR 75PS on a Personal Contract Plan and they have offered me £500 pounds trade in for my car, better than the estimated £200 max in the local auction or £105 offered from buyanycar.com!!! I am not in a hurry for another car, I can wait, but I am in a massive hurry to do something with the Hyundai!!!! The offer on a new Skoda sounds good to me - free service for 3 years, no MOT, top of the range car breakdown for 3 years, no car tax for the first year and only £20 for the 2nd and 3rd year and full guarantee for 3 years. I test drove the car on Sunday and I was pleasantly surprised - quite sporty looking interior, although nowhere near as nice as my Hyundai, but excellent for a Skoda! The car was nice to drive and actually had more welly than my sports car! Just need to choose the colour - sounds like I am buying it doesn't it! Also allows me to save on insurance and petrol costs, whilst I walk or bike to work as I have to wait for the new car in approx. 9 weeks time. I don't want to buy another older, second-hand car and pay out more repair bills - spent so much on my car over the last year, its sickening thinking about it. Any advice please will be very helpful?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Penny. I can thoroughly recommend going for a Skoda. Great car, great deals, reliable, good VW spec. I've had 3 Octavia's and my wife has had Estelle, Felicia (no longer made) and now has a Fabia. All have provided excellent service. In my work, I drive a Skoda Rapid Response Vehicle and its fantastic. At the moment, I have a Citroen Berlingo, however, I really miss the Skoda! I would not hesitate by going for the Fabia. You've got to keep a car, otherwise i'll miss your birding exploits. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd be inclined to go for the new car as well, definitely not a secondhand one or a repair job. If you go to auction you might not make much on it at all, after all, that's why people go to auctions, to get a cheap car. But for a new one you'd have to be sure that your job/income is secure and to plan on using your bike more for work, and seriously curtailing long-distance twitches and meals in "Cley Cafe". I'm sure it can be done, try to think of it as your new year's challenge! Do your grocery shopping online as well, using a well thought out list and your meal plan for the week/month (that way you can't be tempted by stuff you don't need and also you don't need to drive there), and start making your own meals rather than getting takeaways or ready meals. At work, take your own sandwiches etc if you don't already do this, saving on the staff canteen. And when you get the car, only use it for really necessary journeys to save on petrol. But hell, what do I know? Other than being the nation's expert on living on a very frugal wage from the NWT! Good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Kevin and Sue for your sensible advice.

    ReplyDelete