SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 6 May 2019

Bank Holiday Monday Birding!

Cley village from Gramborough Hill, Salthouse


Arrived early at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse. I may have been the first one there this morning! I watched the cutest thing ever in the field west of Beach Road, as I parked the car. A Leveret teasing a Rook. The cute baby Hare charged up to a Rook and made it jump – the Rook moved and the Leveret did the same again – this happened several times. I really regret not making the effort to get the scope out to phone-scope this, it would have made a delightful little film.
Beach from Gramborough Hill, Salthouse

On the pool west of Gramborough Hill, there were 2 Avocets and 2 Turnstones. Meadow Pipits and Linnets in the fields and 3 Wheatears on the hill. No birds at all in the actual scrub though. I sat on top of the hill and watched the Sand Martins whizzing around me. The sun was not out, but skies began to brighten up as I left.
Avocet on the pool west of Gramborough Hill, Salthouse

Turnstone on the west of Gramborough Hill, Salthouse


Walsey Hills NOA – Cetti's Warbler singing, Blackcaps, Chiffchaff, Chaffinches and that was about it. Went to the Cley Deli and bought some Pear & Ginger Cake – my favourite! Blackcap singing in the car park. Popped into the NWT Visitor Centre, where I bumped into Eddie who told me Phil had found a Hooded Crow on The Eye Field, scoped from the CleySpy shop next to the VC.

We were looking into the sun, but were able to see the Hooded Crow distantly, from the sea wall by the sluice at Beach Road. At 10.55am I was told by someone, that Moss. T. was opening the gate to Weybourne Camp at 11.15am to allow birders in, for a potential closer viewing of the Great Spotted Cuckoo. I promptly left, but knew I wouldn't make it in time. I had a very kind text from another birder to let me know about the Great Reed Warbler that had been found at Pensthorpe this morning. I didn't really want to pay £11.95 to see this bird and especially when I have already seen one on 30th May 2012!

Parked up at Weybourne Beach Car Park and walked along the shingle ridge to Weybourne Camp. I could see four people going into the camp and was surprised there wasn't more! Sadly, I didn't make it. I don't know quite what went on, but all the birders on Muckleburgh Hill thought the gate was being opened at 1.15pm, so nobody had left the hill yet. Only two very lucky birders who happened to be there and Moss + friend went into Weybourne Camp at 11.15am – when they came out, they told me they had flight views only as the Great Spotted Cuckoo left the willows and flew south over the heads of the crowd on Muckleburgh Hill and then flew west to Kelling at 12.26 and was not seen again all day – well, it wasn't on the pager, so presumably not. Moss said to me that he couldn't believe that no one turned up (after he phoned someone on M. Hill to let them know what time he was going to open the gate) – a missed opportunity for many. I heard that the crowd on Muckleburgh Hill had a good view as it flew over them though. I didn't see it at all today. I wish now I had started at Weybourne Camp, where I was standing now on the seaward side, as Moss said it had been in the pine trees and brambles very early morning, where I was currently looking in to!!! I sat here for a long time, hoping it would return, but got bored, so left and walked back to the car park.

I felt extremely tired and parked up at Beach Road, Salthouse and had a very long snooze in the car. Had a late lunch and at about 4pm it started to rain. Eddie tipped me off about 3 Fieldfares that he had found in the horse paddocks at the top of Cross Street in Salthouse, which I went to see, so that was a little bonus. Parked up at Coastguards, Cley and scanned The Eye Field for the Hooded Crow, no sign of at all, but three smart Golden Plovers were on the field. The weather was really gloomy now. I headed west.
Chalk Pit Road, Titchwell – highlight of the day, 5 smart Dotterel in the field at the very far end of this road, on the right hand side and there were only two other birders here, wow! Took a few phone-scoped videos, will add to this post tomorrow evening. Hares in the field along with Red-legged Partridges, Oystercatchers and Golden Plover – a wonderful little scene!

Checked the family home at Holme, watered plants and changed the bird drinking baths. Arrived home late evening – back to work tomorrow. The wind switches to straight east at 3pm and then to SE three hours later. Wednesday morning is forecast to be SE with rain – could be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment