SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 27 June 2019

Peregrine Chicks & Green-winged Teal!

I've been on holiday this week, but its been for sorting loads of important jobs out, not really for birding, but I have to escape some time! Had to go to KEYS Auctioneers at Aylsham today to collect two LOTS that didn't sell over two sales and I didn't want them going into a third auction as there is then no reserve. Vivien and I decided it would be better to keep the items, rather than let them go for pennies!

I then headed north to pay a little visit to Cromer church. I've been meaning to do this for ages – ever since I heard about the news of the Peregrines breeding at the top of the spire. I managed to find a free 30 minute parking spot a couple of streets away and then speed walked to the church. It was well worth a visit as they have a huge viewing screen, just inside the church and there they were, three very chunky Peregrine chicks! Fabulous footage and worth going to see. I also saw one of the adults flying around outside. I even managed to have enough time to walk along a little street adjacent to the church to view the sea and pier, before returning to my car 30 minutes later – I didn't want a parking ticket!

Headed west and spent the evening in Daukes' Hide, Cley NWT. Every flap in the hide was open when I walked in. Don't people know how to shut hide flaps?! Also an empty glass 'Harrogate' water bottle had been left in the hide – someone was capable of carrying a full bottle to the hide, surely it must have been considerably lighter to take back to their car? I sound like Eddie!!!

I searched hard for the Green-winged Teal, but couldn't find it, although plenty of Teal to be seen on all scrapes. Saw a Spoonbill flying west over North Scrape, a Little Ringed Plover was on Simmond's Scrape and there were big numbers of Black-tailed Godwits, Shelducks plus young, a pair of Mute Swans right in front of the hide, two cracking Ruff, lots of Avocets, Redshanks, a few House Martins and Swallows skimming over the water. Eddie then walked in the hide, closely followed by Andy J – neither of them could find the Green-winged Teal either, but eventually Eddie found it towards the back of Simmond's Scrape – it wasn't in that spot earlier, so don't know where it had sneaked in from – maybe it had been having a doze out of view, or come from North Scrape, who knows, but it was nice to see even though it was a bit distant. Eddie also found a striking Water Rail at the back of Pat's Pool. A Little Gull flew west across Simmond's Scrape and landed at the back of the pool. A Whimbrel was heard and more Black-tailed Godwits turned up. Two Spoonbills appeared on Whitwell Scrape and a Little Egret was seen here. Andy pointed out a Lapwing with cute chicks sheltering underneath her!
Green-winged Teal, from Daukes Hide, Cley NWT

Now, as most of you know, I'm not a hot weather person and I would rather be chilly than too hot, but this evening in Daukes Hide was FREEZING and I'm not exaggerating at all. Eddie had sensibly walked in with a big coat on, Andy had not and nor had I! My hands were white with cold and I could hardly operate my scope and tripod I was so chilly! As Andy and I discussed, it was coat, hat and gloves conditions in that hide! It was great to get back to my car and put the heating onto max, as I drove home to King's Lynn! Took me ages to warm up. I'll be complaining its too hot on Saturday, when the heatwave hits us all!

PICTURES TO FOLLOW

No comments:

Post a Comment