SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 19 January 2020

Sedgeford & Titchwell RSPB!

BLUE-HEADED EASTERN YELLOW WAGTAIL
Sedgeford


I was first on site this morning to try and get better views and pictures of the Blue-headed Eastern Yellow Wagtail, which was found on Christmas Eve, but disappointingly I couldn't find it. It was a frosty and gloriously sunny day. 30+ Fieldfares were on the stubble field, along with a few Meadow Pipits. Around the dung heaps were Chaffinches, Blackbirds, Robin, Wren and Hedge Sparrows.
Fieldfare at Sedgefield

A handful of birders turned up and later on some of them left to walk back to the road where we have all been parking our cars. Only one birder (the last one) kindly told me that it had been found by the field by the cars and the single dung heap. Early bird does not always catch the worm! It had obviously not paid off getting up early this morning! I meandered back along the muddy track and watched the bird feeding on the single dung heap next to the road, rubbish for a 300mm lens.
BLUE-HEADED EASTERN YELLOW WAGTAIL


The wagtail then flew to the stubble field on the corner of the road and again was too far away for my camera. Later on I tried to photograph it through gaps in the hedge along the road and I then realised I was the only one left. The bird appeared to have flown back to the corner of the field near to my car, so I walked back to find it and discovered the wagtail just behind my car in the field! Seconds after this a couple turned up and this was their first sighting of this stunning wagtail – they were very lucky indeed to have such close views. More people now turned up. I am surprised at the amount of people still coming to see this bird. The wagtail flew into a hedge later on and Roy McDonald (nice to meet you) who was standing next to me, got a cracking picture of it – sadly I wasn't quick enough before it flew – his picture is probably the best photograph I've seen – here is the LINK.
East of Ringstead on route to Titchwell

Left here and headed for Titchwell RSPB. At Ringstead, I headed off east along the back roads (avoiding Holme village as upsetting to be anywhere near what was our family home) and had a lovely sighting of a cracking male Bullfinch on route. Had a lovely lunch sitting in the Feeding Station at Titchwell RSPB and then walked along the Fen Trail. I had my second Bullfinch (fem.) of the day sitting in the hedge by the horse field, by the start of the East Trail which was nice. Sat by Patsy's Pool and counted 7 Snipe feeding in the cut reed area on the right hand side of the pool. Lots of Mallards and Teal here. Marsh Harriers flying over the reedbeds.
Chiffchaff at Titchwell RSPB
Water Rail at Titchwell RSPB

Reed Bunting at Titchwell RSPB

Reeds – golden in the sun at Titchwell RSPB

Bullfinch at Titchwell RSPB

Scarlet Elf Cup Mushrooms at Titchwell RSPB


Back at the start of the main trail, I spent a long time trying to photograph 3 Chiffchaffs, who were fly catching above a Water Rail in the ditch. Scarlet Elf Cup mushrooms were also very photographic in the ditch opposite. I sat in Island Hide for a while and found 3 Pintail amongst the many ducks here, including Teal, Pochard, Wigeon, Mallards, Shelducks and also Brent Geese, Greylag Geese, Lapwings, Little Grebes and gulls. Probably one of the best moments of the day was watching a female Reed Bunting feeding on a reed head for ages in the golden afternoon light. Took some arty farty pictures of the golden reeds swaying and headed back to the car park.
Drove home via Ringstead, Sedgeford and Snettisham and took some pictures of silhouetted oak trees with the glow of the setting sun behind them – a lovely day all round. Lucy played in another concert today, but I didn't go as can't afford to go to them all, hopefully will go to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment