SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 15 May 2011

Cley and Titchwell

Avocet and chick - Avocet Hide, Cley NWT.


The highlight of the day was not a bird!!!

Arrived at Cley NWT at 7.30am. Walked to Bishop's Hide. As I walked in the hide a photographer was already in there. The man was wearing a hat and I didn't recognise him, in fact if he had not spoken, he probably would have remained in disguise! As soon as he said 'hello Penny' I realised it was Chris Knights! (Wildlife Photographer/Film Maker) I have never seen Chris wearing a hat - mind you I can see why he was, as it was freezing this morning and I wished I put some thermals on! It was lovely spending a hour chatting to Chris about birds, photography and the 'old days'. I envied his 800mm Canon lens, but when I felt the weight of it, I realised how light my 'heavy' lens is!!! He was telling me about 'Neat Image' which is an add-on to photoshop which helps to reduce 'noise' - must look into this. Chris was talking about a camera shoot he had been commissioned for where he needed a 'camera assistant' - I said if he ever needed another one, to let me know!!! I stayed in the hide a bit longer after Chris escaped! Nice little selection of birds: avocets, shelduck, mallard, redshank, reed bunting, a marsh harrier, a wheatear and several hirundines.

Marsh Harrier, Bishops Hide, Cley NWT.



Mallard, Bishops Hide, Cley NWT.


Avocets, Bishops Hide, Cley NWT.


Shelduck, Bishops Hide, Cley NWT.


Walked back to the visitor centre and went to Walsey Hills NOA where I saw nothing of note really. Parked at the bottom of Old Woman's Lane and walked to 'Avocet' hide where I watched two cute baby avocet chicks with parents who didn't seem too bothered how far they strayed! Photographed a Common Tern from Daukes' hide. Had just started my lunch at Coastguards when I got told off by the 'teacher' alias John F. for eating crisps! Joined John to walk to North Hide. I counted approx a hundred dunlin here! A poss. white wagtail distantly, little ringed plover and usual avocets etc - also bumped into John M. here.



Avocet - Avocet Hide, Cley NWT.




Avocet Chick - Avocet Hide, Cley NWT.



Common Tern, Daukes' Hide, Cley NWT.



Wash 'n' brush up!


Left Cley around 3.30pm. Drove to Titchwell RSPB where I ambled around the Fen Trail which produced the usual sedge warblers, reed warblers, a male blackcap etc. Drove to my parents and then home.

Marsh Orchid, Titchwell RSPB.


Yellow Flag Iris, Titchwell RSPB.

No comments:

Post a Comment