SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 11 May 2011

GREAT SNIPE AT CLEY!!!!!

GREAT SNIPE on my list!!!!!!!!

Just home from Cley at 10.55pm!

I was sitting in the chair asleep, absolutely shattered from work.

Phone call from another birder just after 8pm "GREAT SNIPE, Avocet Hide, Cley NOW!!!" It was ID'd a minute or two before I was called. It was put on the pager straight away, but for some reason didn't come up straight away apparently.

I grabbed bins and camera bag, still in work clothes and flew to Cley. Can't remember what time I got there exactly, it was around 8.40 I think. Ran along the board walk to the hides, but obviously crept along the last bit so as not to make any noise, take note on this if anyone goes tomorrow!

I phoned several people on route. Hide was full! So frustrating when I got in the hide as it wasn't showing! Several people could see it whilst I was there, but I couldn't see it! The light was fading fast, but Eddie Myers saved the day!!! Thank you Eddie XXX It had moved from the post (far left hand side of hide there is a concrete post) to the right in the ditch. At first I only saw a bit of the bird in the now bad light, but then it was bathing in the water and I could see the very long bill!!!! Think it was about 9.10pm-9.15pm and then it flew across the marsh left. Phew!

VIDEO - GREAT SNIPE
From PETE SNOOK - Thanks Pete!!! X

Pete had to delete the sound as there was too much 'bl**dy' swearing going on!!! The bird was calling whilst displaying.
Pete is going to add another video tomorrow!!!



2 comments:

  1. Great Video Footage and nice bird, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had seen it like Pete saw it. Might have to go back again!!!!

    ReplyDelete