SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 16th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2026!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER FIFTEEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday, 16 August 2026

Blue-cheeked Bee-eater & North Ronaldsay Trip Report – Friday 7th & Saturday 8th August 2026

Friday 7th August

Today was my normal day off and I didn't get up early as I was still recovering from my trip to Sanday last weekend and from spending a considerable amount of time writing my trip report up a couple of nights ago and editing photos. I was trying to work out if I could get to North Ronaldsay this weekend and be back for work on Monday, I couldn't – it wasn't possible at all.

I contacted my boss to ask if I could have have a couple of days off work and requested to have Monday off as annual leave, have Tuesday off and then work Friday instead (don't normally work on a Friday). It wasn't an ideal time I know, as one of my two colleagues had just left to pastures new and my other colleague had been on holiday for over a week and was coming back to either being on her own or with a new locum joining us. I was granted permission to have Monday and Tuesday off as my lovely boss said she knew how much it meant to me – I sent her a massive thank you message back! I was totally excited when I received news of this which I hadn't expected to be granted, being honest. I now had a second chance of seeing the Blue-cheeked Bee-eater?!

I have never had to pack so quickly or organise so much in such a short space of time. I wasn't even out of my night attire by early afternoon. In approximately two hours I had managed to water all the pots in the garden, get myself ready, pack gear, phone and book the Northlink ferry for tonight and return on Tuesday night, the Kirkwall Youth Hostel again (now almost twice the price as last week at £80.75), a taxi from the youth hostel to the airport in the morning, a return flight to North Ronaldsay and book to stay at North Ronaldsay Bird Observatory!!! It was like Challenge Anneka for those of you that remember that!

I arrived at the ferry terminal in Lerwick and as last week there were no spaces to park or in the fish market car parking area either, so had to park my car next to a kerb in the main parking area as a couple of others had also done. I couldn't believe that I has also managed to bag my best floor sleeping spot above the reception area (same as last week)!!! I rolled out my sleeping bag and pillow and felt quite chuffed with what I had achieved in just a couple of hours! I could breathe for a while now! Phoned both my sisters to update them with what I was up to and to let them know that there might not be any signal on North Ron – there wasn't much. It was my mother's eight anniversary since her death today – she would have said that I was "totally crazy" and "spending money you haven't got" – she would be correct on both accounts!

As last week the ferry was very busy. Had my usual fish supper and dessert and then returned to have a snooze in my sleeping bag. I had a fascinating conversation with a very interesting lady sitting next to me from Germany, who seems to be travelling with her backpack and tent indefinitely! She has travelled and stayed all over Scotland, including all the islands including Sanday where I stayed last week and North Ronaldsay and so on. I felt very emotional when she told me her late mother had also had breast cancer, the same as mine and also had told nobody until it was too late and stage 4 – exactly the same as my mother. One particular thing she told me that her mother had said (too personal to say here) really made me upset as it was a very similar thing that my mother had said in the late stages of her cancer. She was a very wise and interesting lady to listen to and was obviously a tough cookie, as she was camping in Kirkwall this evening and it was pouring with rain.

The ferry arrived in Kirkwall 10 minutes early at 10.50pm. I was going to catch the £2 bus (same as last week) and then walk from Tesco to the hostel but it was lashing down with rain and didn't want to get soaked, so got a taxi for £13.00. Got into my room and settled down for the night.
 

Saturday 7th August

After having a porridge pot I had brought with me and a coffee my taxi (£20 as it was "show day"?!) picked me up at 9.30am and dropped me at Kirkwall Airport for check in which was 10.10am. My rucksack weighed in at 11kg and the maximum weight was 15kg, but that did not include my camera and bins which I was allowed to take on board, so was probably a little more than 15kg! The return flight was only £24.00 which I thought was cheap! Whilst in the departure lounge, news had come through that the Blue-cheeked Bee-eater was still there, but was slightly worried as the the message at 9.16am said "..... still on roof at Longar" and as John (another birder) and I both said, does this mean its about to take off?!!! Our flight departed at 10.30am – a short and very smooth scenic 17 minute flight, but couldn't really take pictures as I was not sat in the front seats. Beautiful scenery of the islands as we flew across to North Ronaldsay. Arrived at 10.47am. 

The Assistant Warden Maddy along with Anna met us at the airport and very kindly took us straight to where the Blue-cheeked Bee-eater was last seen along with a couple who were staying at the obs who wanted to see it again, who wouldn't! It was last seen in the area of Burray and Longar. Anna parked the vehicle up and Maddy and the four of us walked with her to try and find the BCBE. It was raining, we couldn't find it and I was having very negative thoughts at this point. Eventually Maddy found it!!! 💖 It was perched distantly on a fence wire, way out across the fields. It was 11.05 when I saw my first Blue-cheeked Bee-eater!!! A distant metallic green bird was my first view in poor conditions, but the relief and excitement was immense! Maddy drove around to a different view point and the BCBE was still on view, but still very distant.

Maddy found us a Grey-headed Wagtail that had been around for a few days along with several Pied Wags, a Peregrine was also seen. Maddy also took us to the beach at Westness where there has been a Semipalmated Sandpiper since June, but it wasn't here when we looked for it. Maddy then left us to enjoy the rest of the day and gave us instructions on how to get to the observatory later on, which was basically follow the main road and if you can see the lighthouse, you are going the wrong way! John had brought his scope with him on the trip which proved very useful – we could see the BCBE still very distantly and it appeared to fly even further away towards the lighthouse. Maybe it was finding a new location?

I decided to walk to the lighthouse to see if I could find it. North Ronaldsay is a fascinating island, far more interesting than I imagined it would be. I presumed it would be bleak and far more than Fair Isle. I was wrong! This island is fascinating and has lots of different habitat and unexpected areas of interest. On route towards the lighthouse I saw a male Reed Bunting flying fairly distantly, lots of Greylags, a Woodpigeon, Fulmars, Sanderlings and Turnstones. Found a sign saying "shop" which when I investigated the building it was pointing to, wasn't! There are several beaches to explore on North Ron which is fabulous. I decided not to walk as far as the lighthouse as my hunch was that the BCBE had not ventured this far.

BLUE-CHEEKED BEE-EATER

 

I turned back and returned to the same field and fence line that we had seen the Grey-headed Wagtail earlier where I found the BCBE perched on a fence wire – it was now much closer! I was the only person here! I spent ages stealthily walking over a grass field towards where it was perched, very slowly, stopping, waiting, watching. No sign of it being bothered at all. I could hardly breathe, the excitement was huge. I got within about 10ft and decided that was the limit. The magnificent Blue-cheeked Bee-eater was perched up on a dry stone wall with two strands of wire going across the bottom third of it (see pics). I couldn't believe I was watching this and so close. I started to get very emotional. It was my mother's anniversary yesterday and I was thinking of her at this moment. I said out loud to the BCBE "you are so beautiful" and I kid you not, it flew from the wall around me in a complete circle, really close, caught a bee and then returned to sit on the wall!!! Its a good job nobody was there as I was crying now. Gave myself a good talking to as really needed to concentrate on the moment and photographs. After a while the BCBE moved a few yards away to show fully on a fence wire. Other people had joined me now as I had obviously put the news out as to where it was now. This is where I got my first good pictures. WOW, what a day!  I don't know if John had had closer views or not, but he left on the 3.17pm flight which another birder Alan had now arrived on and did get to the BCBE close on the fence.

Ambled back along the road to find the observatory. On route I passed Holland House which is a very grand and large house was the laird's house and built in the mid-18th century and has the largest and longest garden on the island, this is where the BCBE has spent some time since its arrival and where the obs staff have permission to carry out their main ringing. History of the island on North Ron website: https://www.nrbo.org.uk/the-island/ There is a stunning white beach just before you walk up the track to the observatory building and this beach is seen from the dining room windows. Just before the obs is a garden with pond, used for ringing migrants and a path that leads to a hide. I was so surprised to find later there are at least three hides on the island and there is so much more scrub and habitat here than Fair Isle has, which I had not expected. You can stay in one of the guest rooms, hostel or camp. The obs has its own community shop within the building too, added bonus! I was shown my room by Craig who kindly brought my rucksack up to me too. I was in a single room overlooking the sea and ok, the building is obviously not new, but I had everything I needed, bed, wardrobe, desk with coffee condiments and kettle and ensuite with shower and a plug in radiator in the room which I did have turn on to get some of my stuff dried.

Evening meal at 6.30pm in the unique fairly large hexagon shaped dining room (see pic) with bar. I was close to buying an alcoholic drink in celebration but changed my mind and had a ginger beer. All the food cooked for me here was 10 out of 10 and above! This evening I had a vege curry and Saag Aloo and rhubarb crumble to follow – I can't tell you how good that food was and very generous portions which I didn't think I would be able to finish, but I did! What a day! The mattress was a little soft, but I was so tired I slept extremely well.

LOTS MORE PICTURES TO BE ADDED 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.