SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 16th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2026!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER FIFTEEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday, 16 August 2026

Blue-cheeked Bee-eater & North Ronaldsay Trip Report – Tuesday 11th August 2026

MY LAST DAY!

I didn't get up early today. I had a full breakfast leisurely in the dining room and then packed up all my gear as much as I could. I wanted to explore some of the east side of the island today. I realised that I would obviously not have time to explore every single road and track here, I will have to continue my exploration of this fabulous island on a second trip or even a third and hopefully for longer next time.

I set off and walked east along a road just past Holland House – this was when I able to see close up how long the garden was at Holland House ending in several huge clumps of New Zealand flax that also grows throughout Shetland. I tried to follow the print out map provided free from the observatory and managed to follow it up to a certain point and then got lost slightly. I didn't find the east side as fascinating as the west side, but to be fair I didn't really cover much of it. I had wanted to walk as far as the Point of Bridesness, but time had run out.

Returning to a tarmac road, I discovered where the post office was and then returned along the main road to the Ancum Willows at 12pm. The light was rubbish for photos but the BCBE was still there and I took a few pictures, then sat and had my lunch with the Blue-cheeked Bee-eater for the last time today! I then left and headed back to the beach at Westness for a third attempt for the Semipalmated Sandpiper. On route I took some lovely pictures of a Reed Bunting feeding on the road, just past the pink house (can't remember the name) next to the fence where the BCBE was first found. Then continued to the beach at Westness where I found Sami, a young birder who lives on South Ronaldsay with a telescope who had the Semipalmated Sandpiper in his scope, lucky me, thank you very much! Too far for photos and it would have been wrong to disturb it as it was feeding with other shore birds. Only seen briefly through Sami's scope. Its amazing how birds can disappear behind different heights of seaweed and rocks! Very pleased to have seen that on my last day.

No news of the BCBE since 12.30pm and it was now 4.30pm. I returned to the Ancum Willows. A birder had arrived by boat all the way from Bristol and pointed out a Greenshank to a few of us on the Ancum Loch opposite the hide. I sat at distance from the willows to have something to eat and watch to see if the BCBE returned again, it didn't. I felt sorry for the birder from Bristol at this point. I walked back to the observatory feeling very tired now. My plane was leaving at 5.54pm. I walked past Holland House and scanned the trees that overhang the long garden wall on the field side and unbeknown to me at this point the BCBE was back in this garden. I noticed that George was driving past when on route back to the obs, I guess he was off to see it in the garden. I discovered at 16.49 on the WhatsApp local group that the BCBE was back in the Holland House garden.

Back at the observatory I packed up all my gear. I put some cash into the volunteers pot at the bar before I was kindly taken by Maddy to the airport – on route we passed the birder from Bristol, we stopped briefly and he looked very happy, he had been taken to see the BCBE in the Holland House garden! Maddy dropped me off and I thanked her and said goodbye. Flight left at 5.54pm and a lovely couple called Scott and Jenny who had spent the day on North Ronaldsay (they had hired bikes too) very kindly offered to take me to the Northlink Ferry terminal when we reached Kirkwall. Another smooth flight back to Kirkwall, again I was in wrong the seats for photography. Sami who I had met earlier was also on this flight and a local lady from North Ronaldsay. I managed to twist behind in my seat to take a few pictures.

Scott and Jenny very kindly went out of their way and dropped me at the North Link Ferry Terminal where I and another lady with a bike had to wait for the terminal to open at 7pm. Ordered a pizza to be delivered for my tea and got told what price it would be for the taxi to deliver and when the taxi turned up, a very blunt taxi driver said they have undercharged you, it costs far more than that to drive out here, so I requested he take the pizza back again! I don't like being told a price for it then change. If I had known the taxi was going to cost more than the pizza I wouldn't have ordered it in the first place! I survived on sweet crap and snacks I had left over which I didn't want but was hungry. Tried to snooze on the seats. Northlink ferry left at 11.45pm. Again I managed to get a brilliant spot to sleep on the ferry, but didn't sleep very well at all. Drunk passengers were talking well into the early hours. 
 

Wednesday 12th August 

Had a full breakfast at 6.30am and arrived in Lerwick at 7.30am. Jumped in car, drove home, showered and got to work for 9am. Prayed for the end of the day and collapsed when I got home in the evening!

Huge thanks to everyone that made this trip so fabulous, the staff at the observatory went above and beyond with all their help, lifts, advice and assistance and the food was exemplary. Would I recommend to stay at the observatory, 100% I would and I'm very much looking forward to returning. I was even considering going there in the second week of my October annual leave, but realised I have spent beyond what I should done since my Fair Isle trip, Sanday and now North Ronaldsay. I really need to earn more money to allow me to go on these trips! I have had a fabulous time and although it took a humongous amount of effort and quick turn around planning to see the mega Blue-cheeked Bee-eater, it was worth it in bucket loads, a bird I won't ever forget!!!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.