I was up very early, but it was raining heavily so waited until it eased off. When the skies looked brighter I set off with my packed breakfast and lunch at 7.45am. On route to the Ancum Willows I was fully aware that the sun would be behind me for photography if the Blue-cheeked Bee-eater was still there, so I felt quite excited about this. As I passed Holland House, it reminded me that the obs team had caught a male Siberian Rubythroat in the garden last October, which doesn't surprise me at all, seeing the size of the huge walled and very long garden. A blue van stopped on route and the man driving said the BCBE was sitting on a fence post right by the road and asked me to be careful not to flush it. I hadn't realised at the time that this was George's father. I was excited knowing that I was going to potentially be photographing the BCBE on a post at close range. Shortly after this George and Maddie came flying past me and I could see them photographing from their vehicle at the Ancum Willows, they had beaten me to it! As I approached slowly, the BCBE flew into the willows from the post it had been perched on and George and Maddie drove on. So that was that! I stood on the opposite side of the road along the path to the hide for ages, hoping it might return to the same post but sadly it didn't. I did get a couple of record shots perched on the edge of the willows in rainy and dull conditions. I decided to sit in the hide to shelter from the rain. There were Information ID boards in the hide - all very smart and efficient hide flaps. A couple came into the hide who had hired bikes from the airport – I didn't know this service was available, I probably would have hired a bike had I known, but a bit too late now on day three. No sign of the Red-necked Phalarope from the hide. As I left the hide I could see Rafael and Mark had arrived at the willows and were watching the BCBE, it was not playing ball for photography, but was having a massive feeding frenzy with the bees and was very mobile. I left Rafeal and Mark to enjoy the BCBE.
My plan was to walk to the lighthouse today which is 3.9 miles from the observatory. The lighthouse is the tallest in the UK and has a visitor centre, close by is the Old Lighthouse or Beacon as some know it as. On route I found a Hedgehog (see pic) which was unexpected – it was on a grass verge and looked very healthy with gleaming beady eyes. The scenery on route was outstanding. It was a mixture of rain and sun, but mostly sunshine today. Saw the Short-eared Owl again, lots of Lapwings, House Sparrows, big flock of Golden Plover, Linnets and lots of Pied Wagtails. I found two accesses to beaches which were exhilarating with one of the beaches on the west side being particularly dramatic with rocks, sheep, Black Guillemots, Shag, Eiders basking on rocks and a Seal. The famous North Ron sheep are everywhere along the coastline in huge numbers and live on the seaweed nearly all year round – they are beautiful to see.
The approach to the main lighthouse was stunning to say the least. I decided to walk to The First Lighthouse first, which was further to walk to and was surrounded by large stones and boulders which with my accident record was not ideal for me to be walking around, but I did and came out unscathed! What a fascinating building! "First lit on 10th October 1789" (history of both lighthouses here). Between the old and new lighthouse is a huge scenic loch called Loch Bewan, which is surrounded by the sheep and on the loch itself were a colony of Arctic Terns, 5 Moorhens and a dark phase Arctic Skua was bathing by the edge! So scenic here and so glad I walked here today as I knew I wouldn't end up walking this far tomorrow. Lots of Linnets, Pied Wagtails and Starlings feeding on the short turf here and around the main lighthouse. Sat and had a sandwich on a large boulder by the Old Lighthouse and them made my way towards the main lighthouse.
Maddy told me later on that this huge area of short turfed grass with little pools by the lighthouse is a main landing spot for migrants in an East wind (I think she said), which then disperse throughout the island. It looked exciting! Quite a bit of heather growing here which was pretty to see. The construction of the lighthouse itself was incredible – the time that it must have taken to build such a building! You can literally stand at the base and that's when you really take in how tall it is! I walked into the visitor centre (unmanned) and inside there are toilets, an exhibition and history room/interpretation screen and a lovely room with seats to sit in with various cakes, kettle, tea and coffee with milk/oat milk from the fridge to make a hot drink or buy a cake with a honesty box. I met a very interesting lady here from Sussex, who has been staying here for five weeks, she comes here annually she told me. Then another lady turned up, a French teacher from Berlin who was doing a tour of Scotland – it was nice chatting with these two ladies whilst the rain was hammering down again, whilst enjoying a nice cup of tea. Left here after the rain stopped and started to make my way back.
Saw a couple of Shrews! Also one Painted Lady butterfly. As I walked alongside a dry stone wall I could see a garden called Bewan which had a line of sycamores behind a drystone wall. So between me on the road was a 4ft plus dry stone wall, then a field area, then the wall with sycamores behind with the main house to the right. I was suddenly aware of a small bird flitting along the top of the wall and feeding amongst the sycamore leaves. There were also a couple of Linnets. On first view, before I lifted my bins up, I presumed it was a Willow Warbler as one had been found earlier in the Ancum Willows (since I left there earlier) but I realised it was more than probably not a Willow Warbler with further studying. It was a light brown overall with very pale underparts and with a fairly long bill. I then thought about Reed Warbler.... it wasn't a Booted as bill not fine enough, nor did it look like one, but wasn't sure what it was exactly. I hate finding something and not knowing what it is, so had to seek assistance and sent a BOC shot to George (warden) who replied with "My gut is that its an Acro, we'll come up" Ohhh... must be something good then I thought!
Speaking with Hugh H. on Shetland who thought Blyth's Reed Warbler as did Ashley Saunders (Norfolk) when pictures were sent to him a bit later by obs staff and I texted Ashley later too to thank him for confirming ID of my find! He said he had heard I was on North Ron, but didn't know I had found the BRW. Anyway, birders turned up on mass, well on mass for North Ron! George, Maddy, Craig, another lady from obs and they collected Rafael and Mark on route and a bit later Lawrence turned up too. There was lots of discussion about the ID between Blyth's, Reed and Marsh Warbler and after further discussion, a reply from Ashley S in Norfolk and studying all the necessary photos looking at wing formula etc it was concluded that I had found a BLYTH'S REED WARBLER! Bl**dy annoying I found a rare bird that I couldn't ID for myself, but BRW's are obviously very difficult to ID listening to all the discussion! I can't remember if it was Rafael or Mark, think it was Mark who was over the moon as it "was a lifer" for him! I felt very pleased, this trip was getting better and better, who could ask for more!
Everyone then left except for Craig and myself. Think this was when Lawrence turned up. George's dad turned up to see the BRW and then very kindly gave Craig and myself a lift back to the Ancum Willows, which saved a very long walk back, thank you. Rafael had spotted the Red-necked Phalarope on the loch by the hide which I got to see, fabulous, too far away for pictures though. The BCBE was now showing INSANELY well and was perched on the outer edge of the willows and both Mark, Rafael, Lawrence and I had a fantastic photography opportunity which I took full advantage of. The only issue was that the wind ruffled the BCBE's feather's constantly and I don't think I got a single shot of it looking pristine, but hey ho, the late afternoon light was almost perfect. The BCBE coughed up a pellet whilst we watched it too. I left the others there and started to walk back to the obs for dinner.
On route I got some cracking shots of a very bright male Linnet along with a female and also a juv Linnet in a garden (with ambulance in). Swallows were busy feeding young in an out-building, second brood maybe? Also saw a Wren and House Sparrows perched up on plants seen from over the top of the blue gate that looks into a wild patch of garden at Holland House. My phone had now run out of battery, so no more scenic shots could be taken with the phone. Arrived back at 6.35pm and apologised for being late and I was told by Anna, "no worries as we are running late". Dropped off all my gear in my room and came down to the dining room.
I couldn't believe that I was served my favourite meal, Nut Roast, Yorkshire Pudding, Roast Potatoes, Veg and gravy – it was first class, so tasty. I then choose the Toffee and Sundae Ice-cream for dessert, which was also divine and presented as though you were in a top class restaurant. The food here has been on another level – imagine how much weight you would put on if you were here more than a few days!
Sorted out and paid for my stay here and also joined "Friend of NRBO" which gives you 10% off your stay and includes newsletters and the annual bird report which is 100% worth it, as I'm coming back again as soon as I can afford it. I've spent too much money over the last two weekends! Rafael and Mark depart on the first plane in the morning and I depart on the last plane.
LOTS MORE PICTURES TO BE ADDED






No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.