SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 7 April 2013

'Screwed' Up Evening!

I have been at work all day, but unusually finished at 4pm. The sun has been shining all day and I was looking forward to an evening of birding at Holme and visiting my parents. The second I got home I bundled birding gear in the car, got changed, had something to eat and was out of the door by 4.45pm. As I walked around the car to get in, I noticed to my horror that the passenger rear tyre was flat as a pancake – my heart sunk. On inspection of the tyre I found a sturdy looking cross thread screw, completely embedded. I was not a happy bunny! Phoned the RAC (free assistance with my car purchase) and they were out within the next 15 minutes – very impressed with their speedy service. Unfortunately the RAC man informed me that there wasn't anywhere local, that was open on a Sunday night to mend my puncture, so he kindly did a temporary repair on the tyre which means I can not drive more than 40mph and basically need to get it to a garage in the morning. The screw he removed was 2 inches – I am cursing whoever left that lying around in the road! Most new cars now don't have a spare tyre, you have the option of buying one as an add on at the time of purchase, I now wish I had! I emptied the car and trudged back indoors and wasted the evening watching the box, ho hum. Don't know how I am actually going to get the puncture done tomorrow when I am working all day. Oh well, saved some fuel I suppose and was lucky it wasn't one of those evenings where I was racing to see a mega such as a snowy owl or something!

I have seen several messages throughout the day via private internet sites etc, about Stone Curlews arriving at different locations in Norfolk. Also a trickling of migrants through, including black redstarts, wheatears, ring ouzels, chiffchaffs and house martin. Also E.T.M and Pete S. had a couple of Red Kites over Walsey Hills NOA today. Anyone with more time on their hands than me and wanting to see Ring Ouzels, should search Ringstead Downs NWT – one of the best places to find them, they love the grassy slopes at this site and always have down since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Good luck if you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment