SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 9 February 2016

Mother's Birthday!

Big thanks to my work colleagues for pointing out it was Pancake day – I had no idea! I don't bother making pancakes normally, but being as it was Mother's birthday I decided to make some. I couldn't remember the last time I had made any and had to search for a recipe. Found this one in "The Classic 1000 Vegetarian Recipes" by Carolyn Humphries. I doubled the recipe and this made four big pancakes!

Basic Pancake Mix
100g flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 pint of milk
1 egg, beaten
15ml butter, melted
Oil, for shallow-frying

Whisk the flour, salt, milk and egg to a smooth batter. Whisk in the melted butter. Heat a little oil in frying pan. Pour in just enough mixture to cover the bottom of the pan and cook until just brown underneath. Toss or turn over and cook the other side. Sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar.

I picked up Lucy after work and we spent the evening with our parents to celebrate Mother's birthday. I had bought a birthday card for Father to sign and I was shocked that he could still sign his name and he even managed to add to some kisses – how lovely!

After Mother had opened her presents, I made the pancakes. I was so pleased I made the effort and the pancakes turned out fantastic. They were scrumptious, even though I say so myself! Mother and Lucy loved them and even Father had a few mouthfuls!

The evening went unusually smoothly in the Clarke household..... until...... I could hear this loud scratching sound of what was obviously a rat in the cavity wall – Mother went beserk and commenced her ritual of spraying Impulse Musk scent at the bottom of the skirting board. 'They hate it' she said. They can't hate it that much, as they keep coming back! The large pond opposite Mother's house, combined with her daily feeding of birds doesn't help the rat situation at all.

I helped Father get ready for bed and gave him a shave. He said he was aching all over and it was job to get him to stand on the sturn, but we got there in the end. Lucy and I left about 9.30pm. Lucy's birthday tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment