SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 18 September 2017

Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler Take 3!

I managed to park at the very same spot by the harbour, as I did this morning. I was quite shocked to see so many cars surrounded by sea water – also the high tide had not peaked yet! I phoned RBA to put a message out to birders.
Cars flooded by high tide at Burnham Overy Staithe Harbour car park


I started walking out along the sea wall and did not run this evening – there was no energy left for running – I was drained! Connor Rand passed me, running I presume to his flooded car – he had seen the PJ Tips twice – lucky him! There were far more birders and Twitchers here than I imagined there would be this evening. I presumed that most people would have seen it already, whilst I had been at work, but it was an incredibly elusive bird and very hard to see and obviously can take several hours to bag. I joined LGRE and lots of other well known Twitchers and birders and the rest of the evening was incredibly frustrating. There was a nano second when the bird shot along the reeds and landed next to the base of a small rosehip bush, more or less in front of me, the second I put my bins up, the bird had sneaked away – the light was poor at this time. It more than probably was the PG Tips, but I saw nothing more than a silhouette – had it perched for a couple more seconds, I would have nailed it! A bit later on I saw a bird shoot out from some reeds and dive back in again – more than probably the bird, but again nothing more than a silhouette. THIRD DIP – walked back in the dark!

Went to mother's at Holme to pick up the on-line shopping list and arrived home too exhausted to even write my blog posts. Can't go and see the PG Tips on Tuesday evening, as have to help my mother move loads of things out of her dining room and put protective sheets over stuff as her Parkray fire is being taken out by a plumber on Wednesday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment