SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 19 April 2018

Hot Birding At Work, Titchwell RSPB & A Chorus of Toads!

Sunset at Titchwell RSPB


On route in the community at work, I had a Red Kite and a Common Buzzard soaring in the thermals, on the hottest day of my life in April! A wonderful Nuthatch was creeping around an ivy covered tree in Great Massingham churchyard, whilst having my lunch – a Chiffchaff and a Blackcap were singing their hearts out and a Blackbird was collecting food.

Later on I had to meet and pick my mother up from a hospital appointment, but due to various issues we didn't leave the QEH until about 6pm. The traffic back to Hunstanton was diabolical to say the least! Stopped in Sainsburys to pick up a few things for mother and then on to Holme.

At 7.35pm I went for a walk and spent an hour at Titchwell RSPB. What a beautiful evening, considerably cooler and beautiful light, as the cerise sun set over The Wash. Four Marsh Harriers were gliding over the reed beds by the dead trees. So pleased to hear my first Cuckoo on The Fen Trail, along with Sedge and Reed Warblers in the reed beds near Island Hide! Cuckoo arrival time/date had not been written on the RSPB's "Arrivals board" in the window of the visitor centre this evening, but I have been informed via Twitter, that the first Cuckoo was heard yesterday at Titchwell RSPB.

As it was late in the evening, I didn't bother bringing my scope with me, but the massive roost of gulls was almost deafening! Couldn't see any Spoonbills whilst having a quick scan with my bins, but plenty of Avocets etc.

I was surprised to see two young men (not english) passing me on route out to the beach when it was almost dark and with no birding gear I felt this was quite unusual. Equally odd was a single lady walking a dog out along the main track at around 8.15pm – both she and the two young men would have been walking back in complete darkness.

Returning to mother's house I heard Natterjacks calling from the midst of the village! Never heard them here before, but mother said she has heard them on and off over the years, but she is far too deaf to hear them now!

UK Temperatures Top 29C In Hottest April Day Since 1949!

That's 84.2 Fahrenheit for us oldies!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43823074

Such a weird day! Heatwave here in Norfolk, with all the fans on at work and air conditioning on max, out on community visits! Dare I say this after the bitterly cold winter we've had? ITS TOO HOT!!!😉

No comments:

Post a Comment