SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 16 April 2023

Holme NOA & NWT Reserves with Lucy!

Holme Visitor Centre NWT

 

The day started with another visit to the recycling centre and then returned home for a quick breakfast. I picked Lucy up at 10.45am and we headed to the coast. To be honest I really needed to continue packing, but had arranged to spend some quality time with Lucy, which was very important. We went to Holme reserves for a couple of hours. Met up with some birding friends to give them some reports from my collection and then dropped lots of spare NOA reports off to Sophie. It was a beautiful day and it felt magical to be out. Lucy had not been here for a long time and it was good to pay our respects to where our parent's ashes lay. Sat for a short while outside the HBO – several Brimstone butterflies were dancing in the sunshine. The laboratory is having a revamp, pity I won't see it finished, I will have to get Sophie to send me some pictures.


Lucy
 

We then decided to have our lunch at the NWT visitor centre. Someone waved at me from across the car park, it was Cilla!!! my work (was) colleague, she was here with her family, so lovely to bump into her! The cafe was just starting to get busy – even though they don't do jacket potatoes anymore, the sandwiches we had were particularly nice, Lucy had Tuna, mayo and cucumber, I had hummus and roasted veg and we both had a cheese scone each with a pot of tea. Lucy really enjoyed herself and said how lovely it was. Guilt started to kick in about leaving her, big time. Selfishly, I would like Lucy to come and live in Shetland too, but I can't see it happening. The cafe area very quickly became dog city and there were more dogs to tick than birds. Time to go.

Walked through the pines to the beach and spent a while reminiscing about our childhood days and Lucy went into a long story about not being able to remember seeing me ever swimming in the sea......?! I did, but I wouldn't now, look at the colour of the water #sewage?!!! Ambled back to the car. Lucy very sharply pointed out a Wheatear, as we drove back along the Firs Road in the Forestry and a second one was feeding close by, which was lovely to see. Lucy then touched my arm and said, "its so lovely here, how can you leave Norfolk Penny?" I didn't really know how to respond to this at all. I so wanted to continue being out and seeing some birds, but Lucy insisted she wanted to return home now, so we headed back to King's Lynn. Our mini outing was far too short!

Norfolk Hospice is collecting my pine dresser and bookcase in the morning, can't believe I haven't been able to sell it at all! Not fashionable any more I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment