SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER ELEVEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 28 July 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Quail at Bakkasetter.
 

Today wasn't as glorious as yesterday, but still quite sunny and no rain at all. At least 60+ House Sparrows in my garden, so many that I had a job to count them properly, also juv Starlings with adults, one male Siskin and Rock Doves. I decided to have a break from decorating, enough is enough.

Jill and Rob's house at Watsness and loch on route to the beach
Just imagine the cost of this on the Norfolk coast!
 

Had a wonderful drive out west to Watsness to visit Jill and Rob and to see all their house renovations since my last visit. I worked out that I have not been there since December at least, where has the time gone?! The last section of the journey is single track roads, with less passing places than is usual in Shetland. Their house looks fabulous painted white with blue window frames, it really stands out now and looks really beautiful. There are not many people who have a loch view, sea view and a view of the island of Foula! The surrounding landscape is truly stunning. After looking round at all the amazing work they have done on their house and saying hello to their gorgeous cats and hens, Jill took me on a guided tour down to "her" beach and walk around the cliff tops.

I have not had a walk out in the countryside for a long time (way overdue) after doing so much house and garden work, so it was truly wonderful to be out and in Jill's good company. This is the first time I have walked around Watsness Loch and the cliff tops.

I know some of the flowers in Shetland, but Jill certainly knows more than me, plus she has a brilliant App on her phone for identifying flowers, can't remember what its called now though. The stony beach is reached via stiles and small dykes and really is off the beaten track. Arctic Terns sitting on the rocks, along with Turnstones and Ringed Plovers on the beach, Shags and also the odd Fulmar soaring around. Lots of rabbit burrows, so need to watch your step. Further along the cliff top, it was a delight to watch a couple of fluffy Fulmar chicks, high up on a cliff face. Back on Watsness Loch, there was a female Tufted Duck with 11 young!

As we walked back and not far from the house, a distant falcon came into view, I felt confused at first, as I wasn't sure what it was exactly – it it had narrow and very long wings and its flight was heavy and fairly slow – just because of the length of wings and overall size and flight pattern, my first though was a Peregrine, but the wings were too narrow for that I decided. It was distant and through my binoculars all I could see colour wise, was overall brown and I saw a flash of white somewhere on the face/head as it turned – we watched it for approximately 2 minutes at the most, before it flew off over a ridge and didn't return. I didn't take any photos, as my camera was zipped up in my bag (mistake), but Jill managed to get some pictures and although they were not exactly her best shots, she did far better than me! The pictures are on her blog HERE. Several birders are saying its a Hobby after Jill put pictures on the Shetland WhatsApp group, but it seemed too long winged for that (have seen lots and lots of hobbies in Norfolk and elsewhere). Rob thought it could be an Elenora's when he first looked at the back of Jill's camera. Anyway, shortly after that, we watched a dark phase Arctic Skua fly over the loch and out to sea.

Had another coffee back in the house with Jill and Rob. Attempted to coax two of the cats, including the gorgeous stripey tabby "Bentley" onto my lap with cat treats, well he didn't quite make my lap, but allowed me to stroke him for first time, I will have to work on him snoozing on my lap! Left later than I had intended and cruised back home to Scalloway. I felt like I was on holiday this afternoon after all the work I have been doing – at "work" and at home. Frustrating to see the bird feeders stripped again when I arrived home.

No comments:

Post a Comment