Rare Bird Alert News
MAINLAND
Quail singing at Bakkasetter.
Quail at Hillwell.
Sooty Shearwater flew past Eshaness.
ISLANDS
No news.
OMG! The Blue-cheeked Bee-eater NEVER left Orkney!!! It reappeared today on Sanday, an island north of mainland Orkney! Where has it been hanging out since it was on Papa Westray?! The pictures that Emma Neave-Webb has taken on FB today are totally insane!!! Her pictures are also on Orkney Birds - Scarce and Rare group. WOW!
Spent the entire evening trying to work out the logistics of being able to get there when I finish work on Thursday! No ferry from here on a Thursday. Ferry on Friday, but no availability to take my car or on the way back. So, foot passenger and arrive 23.00 in Kirkwall. Find somewhere cheap to stay (I have kind of) then 7am ferry to Sanday on Saturday morning. Stay on Sanday Saturday night, then late ferry back to Kirkwall on Sunday, then ferry from Kirkwall to Lerwick arriving back early Monday morning, one and half hours before I start work at 9am! BUT, lets be realistic, its never going to stay until Saturday, lets get real about this! No point in booking yet, especially as there is no refund on the accommodation x 2 I have found, so will wait and see what the score is tomorrow. I was told it was raining on Sanday this evening, so maybe hunkered down somewhere – no sign since 4.58pm. I would LOVE to see that Blue-cheeked Bee-eater! Fingers crossed!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.