SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 26 March 2011

My Stint in A&E!!!

Well today was most definately different. I was really looking forward to finding some spring migrants, but sadly my day did not go to plan! I had packed sandwiches up last night and had full intentions of walking Blakeney Point today - good job I didn't get that far!

Last evening whilst sitting editing photos I had a horrible pain in my neck/throat area and every time I exhaled air the pain became unbearable, so much so I couldn't breathe properly. These pains extended to my chest and then things just got worse. Got into bed and realised I couldn't lay down, this made the pains even worse. Phoned NHS Direct who wanted to send a paramedic out to me asap, but I managed to persuade them that I would get a neighbour to take me - they emphasised that I needed to 'go now, like yesterday'. Being incredibly stubborn I had no intentions of waking any of my neighbours and chucked a hospital bag together in a few minutes and drove myself to the hospital. On walking into A&E I was in agony and got fast tracked straight away. Was given some medication which eventually helped with the pain, but seriously affected me - BP dropped very low, cold, clammy and felt faint and sick - this passed, but felt like a zombie for ages. I was given so much stuff I can't remember half of what I had now, cannula was placed in arm, injection in stomach (lovely), asprin, blood thinner med., blood test etc etc. I eventually saw a doctor after approx 2 hours. I was on a trolley that felt like a brick wall for 6 hours!!! Was also entertained/kept awake by a dementia patient shouting his head off the whole time! At 6am I got moved to the Medical Assessment Unit. Crashed onto my bed to snooze and few minutes later all the curtains were opened and full lights on - its morning - time for everyone to wake up!!! Saw a lady doctor who sent me for a chest x-ray and then the Consultant who at first was mystified by the fact that my chest x-ray was clear and my second blood test also showed no heart problems. After doing a full assessment of my movements and when my throat/chest were painful the consultant concluded that I had "Viral Costochondritis" which is basically a very painful chest infection. Initially I was told I would be staying in, but the consultant said I could go home today. They needed my bed for another patient - so had to sit in chair by nurse's desk whilst waiting the usual long wait for discharge letter and medication. Left the ward, walking my slowest ever walk to my car and drove myself home.

Have been sitting relaxing totally - most unlike me! Ate my 'Blakeney Point' sandwiches and snoozed on and off whilst watching the Squirrel attack the fat ball feeder! Pain alot better, but feel exhausted.

Went to bed mid afternoon and woke up at 8.30pm. Had another sandwich, shower and went back to bed.

5 comments:

  1. Penny, Sounds like you went through a bad time. Hope you are feeling better, Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you went through a pretty rough time, Penny. At least you're back home now. Hope you're out and about again soon.

    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor you Penny, hope you're feeling much better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all very much for your good wishes, feeling alot better now thank you. High doses of ibuprofen are making me tired though. Think I got that because I was extra busy at work last week.

    Best Wishes Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a speedy recovery Penny.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete