SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 20 March 2010

Out birding at last!!!

Rain and sun all afternoon, but it was lovely to be out again - have not been birding very much over the last few weeks - have been in a very low mood. Soooooo glad I am not year listing this year with the price of petrol as it is!!!

Hunstanton Cliff Top - 19 Turnstones feeding with starlings and black headed gulls.

Field east of the A149 between Old Hunstanton and Holme 17 Curlews, 31 Lapwings and at least 127 Golden Plovers.

Parked the car at Holme by the public toilet block and walked west along the outskirts of the golf course towards the beach huts at Old Hunstanton and had my first Wheatear of the year at 1.50pm along with 1 male and 2 Female Stonechats. The area I was walking has been a public footpath for as long as I can remember, but now apparently it says 'Private land' and the path has been diverted along the dune ridge - well I WILL continue walking along my usual path unless someone physically stops me!!!!! There is a rumour that the golf course is going to be extended over this area which would be terrible as this valley between the current fence line of the golf course and the dunes is very rich in plant life and birds etc etc.

Holme Marsh Reserve - Pair of Bullfinch flew across the path to the first hide (still with holes in roof - been like this for over 3 months now). From the first hide tufted duck and mallards. Walked to hide 2 and had my first Sand Martin at 3.40pm and another 3 Sand Martins later on at 4pm with another couple who had joined me in the hide - also several coot here. Tried to imagine a Penduline Tit on the bull rushes - lovely thought.

Titchwell RSPB - As soon as I got out of the car in the first carpark I saw a Chiffchaff (4.30pm) flitting about in the trees by the information hut! A few people were looking for the Firecrest. I walked along the path to the shop and had lovely views of a Woodcock standing on a bright green mossy log through the trees on the right. Found out from someone else that the Chiffchaff had been seen yesterday aswell. A Wheatear had also been seen on the grazing marsh at Titchwell. On the way back to the carpark I had brilliant views of the Firecrest flitting about until it poured with rain - dived into the car and waited for rain to stop and I continued watching the Firecrest until 5.15pm and obtained a very bad record picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment