SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 20 May 2010

Won't be staying at the Obs. on Fair isle!!!!

I have been hugely excited about going to Fair Isle again (people at work are sick of me going on about it!) so when I phoned Hollie this evening to ask her something and she replied 'I was just going to ring you (she sounded so upset and sad) - I just knew what was coming.... can't remember exactly what she said now, but but basically the buildings certificate (something like that) that is required for a new building failed, as the fire doors did not pass and all have to be replaced, resulting in having to cancel people again - from the new opening date of 26th May onwards. New firedoors will not be in place until 12th/13th June - so noone can stay in the obs.

So my choices were: cancel and claim money back off insurance for train and ferry, but I have the time booked off from work and I NEED a holiday. I could have hired a car and gone round the Shetlands I suppose BUT at the end of the day I wanted to be on Fair isle. So I quickly phoned Josie at the South Light house and very, very luckily got the last room, which was incredibly lucky, being as I am booked for 2 weeks!!!!

It won't be the same as staying at the obs, but there are advantages to be being south for the birds I suppose. I will lose more weight (need to do that!) as it will be a long walk from south light to the north cliffs! Hmmmm..... what else, ummm..... ah yes, closer to the shop for chocolate!

At the end of the day I WILL still be on Fair isle and I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Oh God, bad luck Penny. How galling! That's the thing about these 'new and fantastic' architect-designed buildings...actually they don't have a clue. I could tell you a whole load of similar things about Terminal 5 where I work, God knows why it won any awards at all, the architects should be crucified! However, you've got somewhere to stay so that's great and you can pack a (low calorie) picnic for the day and walk off the excess!

    ReplyDelete