SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 22 January 2011

Waxwings and Northern Harrier again at last!

I got up really early this morning, but didn't venture out straight away as it was still virtually dark at 8.30am and very dismal, rainy weather. Had to deliver a birthday card to someone in Snettisham so instead of going along the Dersingham Bypass, I followed the road through Snettisham until I got to Sedgeford and turned left up the Ringstead road after passing the King William pub. A few hundred yards along the road a young lad had a shotgun in his hand. I parked the car a bit further up the road and watched. A man then also appeared with a shotgun and both of them were shooting everything in sight including a hare, pheasant and other birds, but couldn't see what they were. I was worried that A. was the young lad old enough to be shooting and B. were they allowed to shoot next to a road? I phoned the local police station and sadly the answer was yes to both - as long as the lad was using a gun from a licensed gun holder and with his permission, he could and they were allowed to shoot next to the road, as long as their backs are to the road and they do not shoot over it. It was a distressing start to my day. I carried on. At Ringstead village, the high street was closed! So had to divert along back roads and came out at Thornham, turned right and parked at Titchwell RSPB.

Update - 26/01. Alan H. who reads my blog, kindly emailed me with a link to the following:
http://www.ukgundealer.com/rules.htm


Muntjac Deer, feeding alongside main bank at Titchwell RSPB.


Titchwell RSPB


Siskins, housesparrows and a Muntjac deer adjacent to the main path in the felled trees area, just behind the feeders. At 9.30am the sun started to shine, magic! Tons of golden plover with usual waders. A couple of pairs of Golden Eye - spent a while watching these in the now full sunshine. A Great Crested Grebe in the pool on the left, going along main path. A Stonechat was pointed out to me distantly sitting on a bramble bush.

Chaffinch, main bank, Titchwell.


Blackbird, Titchwell.


Great Crested Grebe, Titchwell.


Golden Plover, Titchwell RSPB.


Golden Eye, Titchwell RSPB.


I decided to walk to Thornham Point for a change and got some cracking pictures of a Turnstone and a Sanderling who were amusingly fighting over a mussel that the turnstone had found - the Sanderling ran round the turnstone like a clockwork mouse in a bid to get at the prized mussel, but after several attempts gave up! 2 Eider on the sea and lots of Common Scoters. A nice flock of 15 Snowbuntings were feeding along the tide line, but much too skittish to photograph, not like the Salthouse ones! As I walked around the far corner of Thornham Point, I was thinking how nice it would be to see the Northern Harrier - I could see several birders at Thornham boat house and close by looking out for it. Looked at my ipone at RBA website to see the THE harrier was being watched in the field east of the main path at Titchwell, plus 'showing well' - typical, wrong end again!!! Walked all round the look out tower and bushes and found nothing. Lots of brent geese on the marshes though and a flock of teal in the channel. A helicopter came over and put every bird up!

Turnstone having just found a mussel, scurries over to a suitable spot to enjoy his feast.


Sanderling eyeing up the mussel!


Turnstone - still holding on to his mussel!


Sanderling.


Sanderling.


Turnstone, having finished his mussel.




Shells on Titchwell beach.


Razor Shells at Thornham Point.


Walked back along the main path and bumped into Connor and Billy. Walked into Parrinder Hide and sat in the far right hand section of hide to look for Water Pipit again. It was wonderfully sunny and warm here and I so wished I had some food with my flask of coffee, but sadly diets don't allow jam sandwiches mid morning any more! (sad face) I didn't see any water pipits, but it was a nice rest in the sunshine. Then guess what happened - left hide and with Connor, Billy and other birders watched the Northern Harrier distantly right over Thornham Point - bl**dy bird - I had only been there less than an hour ago! 1.30pm - we watched it hunting and it ended up, near the main road where the field is with the Whoopers in.

It was now 2.30pm - my tin of soup and 200g of potatoes which I was going to cook at mother's wasn't going to happen now, so had no choice but to have lunch at 'The Feeding Station' - jacket potato with salad and cheese. Left Titchwell and had a brief cruise around Thornham and Green Lane and around the back of the Lifeboat Inn in case the Northern Harrier appeared. Searched for the 5 Waxwings at Holme by Beach Road which were seen earlier today and by my mother both this morning and yesterday. After much searching I did find them, but it was very bad light, so sadly rubbish photos, but a wonderful end to the day - I was still watching them at 4.30pm as the sun was setting.

Record shot of one of the five waxwings at Holme.


Visited my parents. Looked at father's pictures he swore blind he had not taken with the new digital compact camera - he most definately had! Collected my birthday presents, which I am quite excited about as mother (who finds it impossible not to tell you what she has bought) has found some rare second hand bird books for me I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment