SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 26 February 2011

Great White Egret!!!

Quite an exciting day really considering the weather!

Started off at Roydon Churchyard to look for Ashley Banwell's Turtle Dove. I walked around the church three times, but sadly no sign. Nice little selection of other birds though including goldfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches, house sparrows, collared doves, rooks, robin, great tit and big black rabbit!

Left Roydon and continued along the A148. Went to Bintree Mill as needed to take fast flowing water on a slow shutter speed (part of assignment for camera course). It was dull, rainy miserable weather. In fact when I parked along the road towards the mill, I delayed even bothering to get out of the car it looked so dull! Dodgy duck swimming in the river along with a buzzard distantly. Got some pictures here, but no life in them at all with the bad light.


Bintree Mill, Norfolk.


My mobile starts 'barking' which means Andy W. is ringing me! "Justi's found a Great White Egret at Marlingford" (Justin Lansdell). Apparently it was only about 12 miles from where I was, so off I went on a mini twitch! I wished I hadn't, when I found myself sitting in loads of traffic at Dereham. Got onto the A47 and turned right at the second roundabout for Easton. In Easton at the pub/restaurant, turn right for Marlingford. After going through Marlingford, turn left at the T-Junction and the GWE was 400 yards along here, viewed from the high bank on the left. A few familiar faces were there including Ian, David Norgate and of course Andy. Justin had left by the time I got there. Andy had told me it was 200 yards away - very funny 200 yards! It was a smudge on the camera. But at least it won't get flushed if it stays in the same area! Followed Andy in his car to get back to Holt - much easier than me getting lost!

GREAT WHITE EGRET, Marlingford, Norwich.


Continued on to Glandford where I spent 20 minutes photographing the weir by the bridge at 'Natural Surroundings'. Took camera bag out of car which I thought was zipped up, but it wasn't and to my horror dropped my macro lens in the mud!!! Got most all mud off with wet wipes and sorted it later when I got home - didn't get any on the lens or the connecting end thank goodness! Left here and went to Cleyspy where I collected my Nikon ED50 with lovely new footplate!



Glandford, Natural Surroundings.


Whizzed over to Cley where I photographed tons of brent geese on the marsh next to Beach Road. Drove up to Coastguards where I walked part way to North Hide and back in hope that I might get the first wheatear for Norfolk, but nothing. Skeins of pinkfeet flew overhead towards Blakney Point. Had a coffee and drove home. Watched 'An Audience with Ken Dodd' - a brilliant comedian.

Brent Geese along Beach Road, Cley next Sea.


Surf, Coastguards, Cley next Sea.


Sunset from Coastguards, Cley next Sea.


Ken Dodd (photographed from TV!)

2 comments:

  1. how tickled I am by your lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad I instilled a little "Happiness" - thanks!

    ReplyDelete