SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 8 February 2011

A Sunny day for a Naturalist

I booked some time off work in the latter half of the morning to pay my respects to Mick Ramsay. His funeral was today in King's Lynn.

See my previous post: http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com/2011/01/mick-ramsey-rip.html

It was a beautiful, glorious sunny day and the birds were singing like it was spring. This was especially fitting today. A perfect day. It was one of the most beautiful services I have been too. The readings by his son Andrew and daughter Heather in celebration of his life were beautiful and deeply compassionate. Mick's favourite poem was read and also one that he had written, which I genuinely thought was brilliant!

Also just before the service started I met an elderly gentleman who used to sell Lug worm bait to my father when he lived at the Firs House at Holme with his mother (Grannie Hess)!!! My father dug Lugworms to make ends meet in the '60's pre my arrival into this world!

After the service Andrew told me how his father took him to see a 'Houbara' (MacQueen's Bustard) at Minsmere area in 1962.!!!!*

*From birdguides: ".....The Suffolk Houbara (MacQueen's Bustard) that strolled around the Minsmere area in November/December 1962 was famously photographed by Eric Hosking through his car window." See: http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?print=1&a=1551


Mick is a significant part of the whole ornithological history of our time.

He will not be forgotten.



Rest in Peace

Titchwell RSPB.

No comments:

Post a Comment