SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 18 May 2014

Salthouse and Cley!

Arrived at Salthouse early morning after my crazy night of no sleep. I can't remember what time it was exactly, but I know it was very cold first thing. The sun was out and it looked like another hot day was on the cards.

Walked to Gramborough Hill – it was beautiful light, must remember to get up early more often! Birds seen in the scrub at the bottom of the hill were: 3 Common Whitethroats, 1 Reed Bunting, 2 Goldfinches and 3 Linnets. I sat overlooking the bushes for quite a while, hoping something exciting would either appear or drop in. Lots of Sand Martins skimming the blue skies, along with House Martins and Swallows. There seemed to be a small movement of Carrion Crows – several were heading west in twos and threes. A kestrel was also seen and a few Meadow Pipits sitting on the fence wires. Walked back to the car and decided I needed a nap, which is hardly surprising! Reclined the seat back to maximum and had an hour and a half's snooze.

Cley Visitor centre for cheese scone fix and a pot of tea – lovely. As I was leaving the carpark the pager bleeped up with Osprey west over Cley a few minutes ago. Maybe I was too late, maybe not, headed to Coastguards and as I drove along Beach Road, I stopped to ask Chris Mills (with clients) who told me he had found the Osprey and that it had headed high west – oh well!

I sat on the shingle next the shoreline and waited for the Bee-eaters that had been heard at Winterton this morning, to cruise past me at eye level! They probable did cruise past, but at a much higher altitude! Little Terns and Sandwich Terns seen, not alot else. Headed to Mannington Hall for the second day of the Norfolk Bird Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment