SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 22 May 2014

Searching for Rares!

I arrived at Cley to walk Blakeney Point – surely there had to be something of interest down there today? I parked in the NWT Visitor Centre carpark and walked to Bishop's Hide. The clouds were looming, but the sun was currently out. Nothing of note on the pools, the usual Avocets, Redshanks, Greylags, Shovelers, but water levels high, so not going to see much on there at the moment.

Parked at Cley Coastguards and got my rucksack sorted and ready to walk Blakeney Point. I heard through the grapevine that James M. was on BP and was seeing diddly squat! Hmmmm...... well if James was seeing nothing, I couldn't see the 'point'!!! I heard later via FB, that there was a Mega Bird down the 'point'..... a White Cockatiel, which has been there for a couple of days apparently!

Stiffkey Campsite Wood
Re-located to Stiffkey Campsite Wood. The dark clouds had been gathering for a while and a massive thunderstorm started with lashing rain, so I sat in the car until it passed. The only birds I saw in the wood were: Blackcap, Chaffinch, Wren, Robin, Hedgesparrow, Blackbirds and Wood Pigeons. On the ploughed field at the east end of the campsite there were Red-legged Partridges x 2, Blackbirds x 2, Oystercatchers x 2, Pied Wagtails x 2 and a few Wood Pigeons. Back at my car whilst having a coffee a Barn Owl flew past east. Little Egrets on the marsh and that was about it.

West Track, Warham Greens
No one else here and no birds either, well I say no birds..... few Chaffinches, 1 Whitethroat, 1 Blackcap. Feeling bored, I photographed arty farty cloud and tree pictures! Walked east, up to the barn and watched hares playing as the sun was setting. Back at the car on the concrete pad, a Marsh Harrier flew low past me. 3 Swallows landed on the dead tree along with a Chaffinch. I saw another Barn Owl as I was leaving carring prey (looked like a rat).

Note: a new picture has been added to my Terek Sandpiper post, taken by Dean Eades!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment