SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 3 July 2017

UFO or Planet Viewed From My House!?

I phone-scoped this between 3.20am to 3.27am this morning, hand holding the telescope on my bedroom windowsill and holding up the phone to the eye piece! My tripod was in the car – should have really made the effort to get it out of the car, to steady the scope and attach the Kowa TSN-IP6 Photo Adapter!

What were you doing up at that time of the morning I hear you ask? I had just been to the bathroom and when I returned, I peaked out of the curtains – I often do this to see if anything interesting or dodgy is going on eg: fox, hedgehog, drunks falling into hedge, burglars etc!

This large round object was very bright indeed, so I went to get my binoculars for a better look – these were not powerful enough, so had a look through my telescope. This does not show in the pictures at all, but what I witnessed was this: an almost white ball that appeared to stay in one place, but was spinning round at a great speed with very small sparkly lights, which seemed to be pulsating back and forth. I attempted to video it, but was unsuccessful. Holding my phone compass up to the object, it read that it was 55° North East in the sky. To the naked eye it looked like a very large star. Before anybody asks, it was not the moon as this is behind my house. I was baffled and mystified and simply didn't know what it was – UFO or Planet?!

Here are the pictures – where you can see the tiny circles – these are the things that pulsated, but the entire thing was much whiter and brighter than you can see here. The circle of light around the object is the outer edge of my telescope.
Phone-scoped with Swarovski ATS 65mm HD Telescope with 25-50x w eye-piece & Apple iphone 6 – both handheld!


I started googling Planets on the internet and came across a site, of which I have done a screen shot here – so maybe it was a Planet? Or maybe it wasn't!
So – was I witnessing Planet Venus, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune OR a UFO!!!? Any Astronomers out there to assist me with my mystery sighting please?

Further googling: https://www.space.com/33619-visible-planets-guide.html reveals that it may be Planet Venus?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Penny!
    I'm an astronomer and a student of the UFO phenomenon (I write books about both!) The object was almost certainly Venus. Your autofocus will have been hunting in and out while you hand-held the camera, producing the circular image. Have a look tonight: I bet you 'it' is in the same place!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David - you were the person I hoped would reply! Thank you so much. I came to the conclusion it might be Venus, thanks!

      Delete
    2. Hi David - the books you have written look fascinating! Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://birdsoftheheath.blogspot.co.uk/p/buy-my-books.html

      Delete
    3. My pleasure Penny!
      I'll give you a copy when I see you!

      Delete
    4. Wow, thanks David! Hope you get some sales from my link! I used to collect a magazine on subscription called Into the Unknown when I was a teenager!

      Delete
  2. Pretty sure it is Venus, would be low in the east about the time you were up.
    Unfortunately your image are out of focus, and the little blobs are dust specks in your optical system. The reason they move/pulsate is down to the unstable atmosphere-its the same effect that causes stars to twinkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil – thank you so much for your assistance!

      Delete