SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 7 May 2018

A Very Hot Day At Holme!

SUNDAY 6th May
I spent the entire day with my mother, Lucy, Vivien and Ray in the garden at Holme. It was far too hot to be doing anything much, but I managed to do a few jobs around the house, like giving the bathroom a Spring clean etc and sorting out some clothing items that need to go to charity shops. I love our family garden so much – it is the most beautiful and peaceful place to sit and relax – we sat chilling in deckchairs on the lawn watching butterflies and bees dancing around mother's wildflower patch in the glorious sunshine. Blackcaps and Cuckoos were singing from across the meadow and the cat took a fancy to one of my new deckchairs!

Vivien's partner Ray has a just purchased a Ukulele and Vivien was trying to strum some tunes, which Lucy and I were very impressed with – looks like we have a second musician in the making. Lucy should have brought her violin over today too! Mother didn't really spend any time outside and preferred to sit indoors – she looks so fragile and her skin is very pale. It was rather an odd lunch gathering, with two of us having fish 'n' chips from Eric's at Thornham and three of us having dressed crab, shrimps, granary bread and salad – not me I hasten to add! The cat didn't know which way to sniff first! Victoria Sandwich (extremely yummy from the Farm Shop at Thornham) and other delights were enjoyed later for tea.

Vivien and Ray went off for a walk and returned later to casually mention they had watched a Great White Egret on their travels. I lept off my deckchair and went to see for myself and there was indeed, a magnificent Great White Egret fishing in the evening sunshine – made my day! Returning to Holme, Vivien and Ray had left to return to Ely and me being clever (I was so not) decided to leave just after 9pm to avoid all the going home from the beach traffic. Lucy and I drove through Ringstead to avoid Hunstanton and came out near the Heacham Lavender field junction to a gridlock of cars – I was shocked to see this at this time. It took forever to get back to King's Lynn! I knew it wasn't going to be good when Lucy and I travelled along the clifftop road in Hunstanton at 9.05am this morning to see the entire clifftop road, almost full with cars, which I have never seen at this time of the morning. Can you imagine what Bank Holiday Monday is going to be like?!!!

Back in my house, I fell asleep on the sofa which is why the bird news and this post ended up on Monday's date!!! Good night, or should I say good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment