SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 18 April 2019

Spring Birding at Holme Bird Observatory!

PIED FLYCATCHER
This evening at Holme Bird Observatory


After being at work all day, I was shattered, but simply couldn't miss out on seeing Pied Flycatchers at Holme Bird Observatory. You don't see stonking male Pied Flycatchers very often to be honest, well I don't anyway! I had dinner on route to Holme: a spicy bean pastie! As I drove along the Firs Road, I could feel the excitement of newly arrived migrants. Four Wheatears were yards from the road and showing very nicely indeed, also a few Robins, a Chiffchaff and a male Blackcap in a bush, as I approached the end of the road. A Chiffchaff and a Robin were in the sea buckthorn opposite the NOA car park.

At Holme Bird Observatory, I watched Male & Fem. Pied Flycatchers sitting on the fence posts and rope and posing in the pink tamarisk! A Black Redstart was feeding on the grassy slope just east of the observatory along with 2 Wheatears. 2 Swallows flew over. Also saw a few Chiffchaffs & Robins around the reserve!!! 6 fabulous Ring Ouzels (at least 3 males) appeared along with 2 Fieldfares, just south of the Firs Road, behind the Natterjack pond, as I left + 1 Song Thrush singing!!! Also four Wheatears in paddocks along the Firs Road. Checked the family home at Holme and watered some plants and then made my way home to King's Lynn.

One of the best birding trips after work, that I've had for a very long time! Its going to be an amazing weekend for birding and weather, which will also mean a ton of traffic on the roads! I'm secretly hoping that Holme reserve car parks will be packed out with birders and not day trippers and dogs for the beach, wouldn't that be awesome?! See you all tomorrow!!!
 Male Pied Flycatcher
Female Pied Flycatcher

 Female Pied Flycatcher
Wheatear
Ring Ouzel

1 comment: