SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 22 October 2019

SHETLAND – DAY SEVEN!

Levenwick Beach


A big storm throughout the night and an atrocious day of continuous rain, wind and fog. I stayed in and edited pictures, birdwatched from my window and was generally lazy! Saw a Robin, 2 Meadow Pipits a Blackbird, 2 goats and one fabulous silver/grey Maine Coon cat sitting on a windowsill in someone's house, looking out at the rain! Niki very kindly did some clothes washing for me (all part of the excellent service here) and she went out and purchased Ecover washing powder prior to this too, when I said it was the only washing powder that doesn't react with my skin – Niki and Piet really are the perfect hosts!
Rainy view from my window


I couldn't bare to stay in all day, so returned to Lerwick to watch the Red-flanked Bluetail. There had been no news on this bird, but then maybe nobody had looked today? I fully expected it be there, but I couldn't find it in any of its favoured little spots. There were good numbers of Common Redpolls here again, approximately 20+ and also 6+ Siskins feeding on the opposite side of the road in the burn, which I then walked along and ended up on a rocky beach. There were Turnstones, Starlings and Hooded Crows here. The rain was relentless and it was quite depressing. Returned to my car and headed south.

I stopped at Hoswick to look in the garden by the beach, where the Red-backed Shrike had put in a brief appearance, but nothing in there at all apart from a Robin and a Blackbird.
Levenwick Beach


From the small car park at Levenwick by the beach


Checked out the gardens in Levenwick and ended the day pottering around on the beach, taking arty farty photos of seaweed, waves, sand and scenery. The Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max is producing far better photos than my Canon 7D at the moment! I havn't taken a mint shot of any bird so far yet!

Returned home dripping wet, it really wasn't worth going out for. Tomorrow looks even worse. Thursday looks considerably better with the sun appearing on/off throughout the day! Roll on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment