SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 23 October 2019

SHETLAND – DAY EIGHT!

The heavy rain continued until early afternoon and then the sun came out for a short time!!! The rain and wind then commenced again at tea time and throughout this evening.

There is a wonderful solitude about this entire experience. There is no stress, no need to rush – its a very different way of life here and the people here seem far friendlier generally, than they are south! Because I knew the weather was poor, I didn't set the alarm this morning and woke up naturally, had a shower and edited more pictures. The internet is very good here, but upload time for videos is very slow. Its taken all day to upload three videos to my Youtube channel – the third one is currently 25% loaded!
Views from my window in the rain

From my apartment I scoped 10 Greylag Geese, Mallards x 6 and a whole roost of gulls on the cliff top edge in the South Punds, which were mostly Herring Gulls. Also Starlings, House Sparrows and a Robin were seen, along with three goats and one silver grey Maine Coon Cat watching the rain and birds from its windowsill again!

Red-breasted Flycatcher at Cliff Cottage, Hoswick


This afternoon, Juan Brown found a Red-breasted Flycatcher at Cliff Cottage, Hoswick and also a Red-backed Shrike close by! I managed to see the Red-breasted Flycatcher, but it was constantly on the move and I only obtained a dreadful out of focus picture – it was constantly being harrassed by a Robin. Also here, I watched lots of House Sparrows feeding amongst the seaweed on the beach along with 2 Hooded Crows and a Rock Pipit. There were two Seals close by too. I didn't find the Red-backed Shrike. A Heron flew over Hoswick as I was leaving.

Thanks to Birdguides for including my Red-flanked Bluetail in their weekly review today!

A much better day weather wise tomorrow:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2644605

No comments:

Post a Comment