SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 13 September 2020

CleySpy – the new Swarovski NL Pure Binoculars and Cley NWT!

Met up with Pete S., who I have not seen since before lockdown. We worked out that it was probably last year since we last saw each other! We met at CleySpy and went to have a look at the new Swarovski NL Pure range of binoculars. I've been dying to try these out, but its never a good idea to test binoculars out in full afternoon sun, so need to go back again in cloudy and dull conditions. We looked through the 10x42's and the 8x42's. I don't know where to begin really! They are AWESOME, but then so is the price!

Until today I haven't found any binocular that is better than my current Swarovski EL 8.5x42 binoculars, but frustratingly these ARE! The light and clarity is startlingly different. Many years ago I owned a pair of Optolyth Alpin 10x40 binoculars and have since then, always had 8x magnification. Looking through the NL Pure 10x42's was exciting, very exciting indeed and the close focussing was insane! The field of view is 2° wider than my current binoculars and they are only 15g heavier. The new shape feels perfect in your hands – I'm in love! The 8x42's obviously have a much wider field of view at 9.1 degrees (159m at 1000m) and are 10g lighter than the 10x42's. The choice is yours!

Check out the models here:
https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/product/swarovski-nl-pure-10x42/ 

Sensibly, I only left the shop with bird seed and fat balls! I will have to sell lots of things to buy my dream binoculars! CleySpy currently have a back order, so there are obviously many birders with deep pockets!!!

Went to Cley NWT Visitor Centre, where you have to wear masks to go inside. Ordered two take away teas and Pete and I sat on the veranda in the sunshine, looking out over the marshes. 3 Swallows flew past. After a good catch up, we left and Pete headed home east. I went to Beach Road at Salthouse and bumped into John F, who had just walked to Gramborough and the only bird out there was a single Stonechat, so changed my plans.

Relocated to the East Bank car park. Sat in my deckchair and had a coffee and a sandwich and then ambled along the East Bank in the glorious evening sunshine. 2 Wheatears on The Serpentine and 21 Black-tailed Godwits. On Arnold's Marsh, there were 25 Redshanks, a few Shelducks, 5 Dunlins flew west, 1 Snipe, 1 Heron, 5 Little Egrets, 2 Turnstones, 1 Curlew Sandpiper and several distant gulls. I sat on the shingle right next to the sea and enjoyed being in the moment by myself, with Sandwich and Common Terns flying past – this was only spoilt by sand flies biting me, which meant I had to leave earlier than I wanted to! A Water Rail was feeding close to the path on the west side of the bank. Further along the East Bank I bumped into Eddie, who pointed out a distant Curlew Sandpiper at the back of Arnold's Marsh. 5 Canada Geese were also on the marsh and a huge flock of Greylag Geese were on the field behind Snipe's Marsh at Walsey Hills. 3 Marsh Harriers glided over golden reedbeds as I made my way back to the car. Cruised along the coast road for a change of scene and then headed home via Wells.

My big news I mentioned a few weeks ago, isn't that big really, but it will make a huge difference to my life balance. In August I requested to work three days a week instead of five, which I was hoping to start on 1st September, but due to having to fill my two days and then also advertise another post etc, it will more than probably now be commencing on 1st November. The reason I requested this is because whilst I'm working 5 days a week  (6 days when I have to work a Sunday), I will never have the energy or time to sort out the tons of things and jobs in my house, in order to put my house on the market and move. Having 4 days off every week instead of 2 will make a huge difference and will also mean I only have a wear a mask for 3 days instead of 5!!! It will also be brilliant for birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment