SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 17 September 2020

Evening Birding At Holme Bird Observatory!


Holme Beach

 

Its pretty difficult being at work, when there is a run of east winds and good birds around. I managed to get out this evening, even though I felt very tired. Nipped over to Holme and parked on the NOA car park in hope of seeing the Red-breasted Flycatcher. On route saw a Common Buzzard perched on a bush close to the road. Walked across the dunes from the car park and saw 4 Stonechats perched on a hawthorn bush. I couldn't see anything in the sycamores on the NWT car park, but didn't dare venture too close, as the NWT reserve is closed at 5pm!

Fabulous high tide (see picture above) and unusually hardly anyone on the beach, makes a change! Walked through the back of the pines and saw nothing at all. You would have thought there would have a been a Pied Flycatcher or maybe a Redstart here in the dead tree stumps, but it was devoid of birds. Walked through the gate to the observatory and noticed there was loads of ducks and Coots on the Broadwater. I didn't look at them all as had limited time to find some migrants before the light disappeared, but there were Gadwall, Mallards and Shoveler amongst the huge number of Coots! No sign of the Red-breasted Flycatcher in front of the observatory or in the birch tree/scrub along the main bank. I found a Robin and that was it. Saw a Kingfisher flash past along the Broadwater, which was a nice surprise and 4 Curlews flew west. 6 Little Egrets flew east from the car park hide and a Marsh Harrier was over the marsh. There were a few LBJ's diving in hawthorns by the car park hide in fading light.

I have just about recovered from the dentist! The dentist surgery gave me my second appointment in late October, to finish the root canal treatment, I'm so excited, not!

Blogger has changed its post editing as from today and it took me ages to get the spacing as I normally have it on my posts – I do wish they wouldn't change things! Mind you, I have noticed some plus points, there is now a huge selection of new fonts to choose from, when previously there was only a choice of seven fonts.

East winds continue until Monday morning! Not enough cloud or rain though, but there should still be some nice birds to see hopefully. Roll on Saturday!

The Saltings, Holme

No comments:

Post a Comment