SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 28 September 2020

Garden Drove, Warham Greens & East Hills, Wells!


 East Hills, Wells
 

Garden Drove, Warham Greens 

I had a few essential jobs to do this morning, so didn't get out until the afternoon. Headed east and parked up on the concrete pad at Garden Drove, Warham Greens. The hedge-lined track was alive with birds! Two Great Spotted Woodpeckers, one of which I heard knocking on a dead tree stump, before I saw it,  Blue Tits, Great Tits, also Chaffinches, Goldfinches, several Goldcrests feeding amongst the sycamore leaves, a Chiffchaff, Blackbirds, several Robins, Hedge Sparrows x 2, Wren, Redwing, male Blackcap and the best bird I found was a Redstart along the fieldside of the hedge, just west of the end of Garden Drove (where the Brown Shrike was). Nothing of note in the copse at the north end though – no bluetails! Another birder kindly pointed out a Yellow-browed Warbler to me, approximately half way along the track, lovely views but sadly didn't get a photo.


East Hills, Wells
 
I was very excited when I realised I was the only birder out here. I later found out this evening, that A.S., N.P., A.B., and S.W. had all been out here before me (see RBA post for full list). I hadn't expected the sun out this afternoon and the skies were beautiful. Found a dead Guillemot on the beach. I worked hard to find some good birds. I found more spiders than birds! Lots of webs knitted across pine trees, each with a good sized spider in the middle – there must be some in my hair! Birds found: a few Robins, a Wren, Blackbird and several Goldcrests. 2 Peregrines flew west over the marsh at close range and a Common Buzzard also flew over, along with a Great White Egret and 2 Little Egrets. I was flabbergasted to find nothing at all in the sycamore glade, not a single bird! Back at the west end later, I found 2 Stonechats, a single Chiffchaff and at last a lovely Yellow-browed Warbler in the brambles! But, it would not play ball for my camera, you can see what it is, but rubbish pics! The setting sun over the harbour at Wells was simply breathtaking. Lots of Brent Geese, Redshanks, Oystercatchers and 3 Grey Plovers also seen. A wonderful afternoon, which wouldn't have happened, if I had gone racing off to twitch the Lammergeier, especially if I had dipped! Maybe tomorrow?!
My Yellow-browed Warbler – honest!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment