SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 11 May 2021

West Runton and Beyond!

Gramborough Hill, Salthouse

After two mornings of Golden Oriole sightings at West Runton and other places east, I decided it would be a good idea to join the action! I felt extremely tired this morning, resulting in me arriving far too late, but luckily I hadn't missed any sightings of Golden Orioles anyway! A glorious day though and nice to bump into some local birders I have not seen for ages, including Simon C., Paul L. and Ian P. A few nice birds were seen including a Ring Ouzel in the field, a Yellow Wagtail with the cattle, a Short-eared Owl, 2 Gannets flying east, Whitethroats, House Sparrows and a Common Buzzard distantly. Nothing black and yellow or green though, sadly!

Wheatear on the marsh at Gramborough, Salthouse
 
Turnstone on the pool at Gramborough, Salthouse
 
Dunlin on the pool at Gramborough, Salthouse
 
 
Meadow Pipit (with only one leg!) at Gramborough, Salthouse

 

Talk about bad luck, I have been at Holme over the last couple of days and the pager bleeps up with Great Reed Warbler trapped and ringed at Holme NOA!!! Oh well, you can't be everywhere at once! Had a snooze in my car in the lovely sunshine. Headed west and stopped at various places intending to go for a walk, but felt too tired. At Walsey Hills NOA, I walked along the bottom path and saw Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs. Checked the cattle at Beach Road, Cley for any wagtails, none found, but a few Wheatears were in the Eye field. Sat on the shingle in my deckchair and watched the sea for a while. I ended up at Beach Road, Salthouse and walked to Gramborough Hill, where I spent nearly three wonderful hours!

Redstart at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse

 

Stonechat at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse
 
Eastern Willow Warbler at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse
 
Eastern Willow Warbler at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse
 
 
Iceland Gull at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse
 
A wet juvenile Stonechat at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse
 
Gramborough Hill, Salthouse
 

At Gramborough Hill, I eventually had a few glimpses of the very elusive Common Redstart and did manage to get a photo, although it won't win any prizes. Photographed a stunning male Stonechat, a juv. Stonechat and an Eastern type Willow Warbler. Also seen: Chiffchaff, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Linnets. After the skies turned black I ended up being the only birder left! I decided to brave it and hope something exciting might drop in after the downpour. Watched the Iceland Gull sailing over the shingle ridge against dark clouds – a wonderful view! Also a Short-eared Owl flew over the marsh close by and 2 Cuckoos were seen. My day was improving no end! Surprisingly it didn't really rain as much as I thought it was going to. In the pool just west of the hill I had fabulous views of a Dunlin, Turnstone and a Ringed Plover! Several Wheatears were in the field and a Meadow Pipit perched on a post, who only had one leg, poor thing! Ambled back to my car, sat in my deckchair and had a coffee and snacks.

North Point Pools, Wells
 

Drove west and went to Garden Drove at Warham. The track up to the concrete pad was seriously water logged! It was quite late and after walking along the track for no more than a few yards, I decided to return to my car after seeing someone else turn up in the parking area. Relocated to North Point Pools at Wells, which was an excellent move, as had a lovely selection of birds here in the late evening sunshine. Birds seen: 3 Common Sandpipers fairly close, 2 Wood Sandpipers distantly, 2 Little Ringed Plovers, a Spoonbill, lots of Avocets, Lapwings and fluffy chicks, Mallards and ducklings, Redshanks, Gadwall, Shelducks, Pied Wagtails, 2 Grey Partridges, Greylag Geese, Canada Geese x 2, lots of hares on the fields.

North Point Pools, Wells

 

A lovely end to the day, until........ I observed some very suspicious behaviour, which turned me into a detective (something I wanted to be when I was 'little') and then had to report, can't say anymore than that at the moment. Because of this, I didn't leave the area until gone 9pm and arrived home at 9.50pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment