SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 6 December 2022

Hume's Warbler at Brancaster!

HUME'S WARBLER
Brancaster, Norfolk



I finally got round to seeing the Hume's Warbler at Brancaster this afternoon. I have been very busy with all sorts of things over the last few weeks, so have not had much time for birding. This morning I was in the hairdressers for over three hours for the 'Christmas hair do' – whizzed home for quick lunch and then headed to Brancaster.
 
It was bitterly cold today, not that I'm complaining, I would rather be cold than hot, plus less tourists around! Parked up along Beach Road at Brancaster, crossed over by the toilet block to the seawall, walked south and then headed west along another path for a couple of hundred yards. There were three birders here, so knew I had got the right spot. The Hume's Warbler had quote 'just been showing before I arrived'. I waited. We heard it calling several times and had nano seconds of it flashing across from one willow to another. A birder who said he had been reading my blog for years (lovely to meet you) said 'you won't get a picture, its too quick......' He left and I stayed.
 
Patience paid off and I was also quick!😉 Ok, so my pictures won't win any prizes, but at this late hour in the day, I was very lucky to see it and to get some record shots! Mark G. had had a second bird shortly before I arrived! I can't do photography with gloves, so my hands were frozen, then it started to rain heavily, so I speed walked back to my car.
Hume's Warbler – Brancaster, Norfolk
 
 
I couldn't resist going to the beach, it was high tide and the sea was in turmoil and looked exciting. As I stood on the shore, foam dispersed across the sands in the bitter wind.  I felt like I was back on Shetland, it felt fabulous! I can't remember the last time I went to Brancaster beach, I avoid it like the plague because of the mass of dog walkers here, even worse than Wells and that's saying something! I felt so lucky, not a single dog in sight! Peace and tranquility – just the sound of the sea and wind! I returned to my car and put the heating on max, as I headed back to King's Lynn!

More pictures to be added

No comments:

Post a Comment