SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 8 March 2014

Spring Has Sprung!!!

 Yellowhammer singing its heart out
at Ongar Hill this evening.


I had a chilled day, doing jobs that had to be done. The sun was not forecast to show its face until the afternoon – they got that wrong! The sun came blazing out at 10.30am here in King's Lynn. I did manage to get out birding later on and nipped off to Ongar Hill to try and find the Rough-legged Buzzard or/and the Great White Egret that has been reported here regularly.

I don't think I have been to Ongar Hill since 6th January 2008! I remember this date very well – I had come here to look for a Richard's Pipit with Justin L., his wife Sonia and Andy W. which we did see, but then news broke of the White-crowned Sparrow at Cley and my companions all flew off to Cley whilst I had to fly off to work! I remember very clearly how gutted I felt at not being able to go, but I did get to see it the following weekend!
Yellowhammer singing at Ongar Hill.


Anyway, I parked up in the very muddy small carpark and walked out to the sea wall at Ongar Hill. No sign of the Rough-legged Buzzard or Great White Egret sadly, but a Common Buzzard was seen. A Kestrel was hovering, Skylarks singing and Little Egrets were flying over the marshes along with Brent Geese. So desolate out here, not one of my favourite places, but things did improve slightly. Driving back along the narrow farm roads I came across a Hare in a field, which made some nice pictures. Further along I watched and photographed two Yellowhammers singing away in the late afternoon sunshine on the edge of a field – they looked so beautiful and so contented as they sat in a dead tree. My car made an excellent hide!
 Hare near Ongar Hill, Terrington Marshes.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice! Seeing any Fieldfares in Norfolk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems everyone is seeing and photographing hares this week, I must be the only one not (unlikely in Milton Keynes!) and am very jealous. That really is a lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob - I haven't seen any fieldfares lately, but I notice that someone had 200 at Ashill, Norfolk today via the NARVOS site.

    ReplyDelete