SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 22 September 2023

Citrine Wagtail in The Rain & Exploring!

CITRINE WAGTAIL 1w
 Seafield Park, Lerwick

 

A rainy day, but a wonderful day! I had to sort some important things in the morning to do with the house I looked at the other day and this had to come first. So I didn't get out birding until lunchtime. I went straight to Seafield Road and Park area to look for the Citrine Warbler 1w. that was found yesterday afternoon. Andy J. had last seen it in a horse paddock, along with a Yellow Wagtail by West Hall, so I decided to start there first. I parked my car up on a verge along Seafield Road and bumped into a couple  of birders looking over a stone wall, we were not sure if this was the right place or not. Julie R. very kindly stopped along the road in her car to tell me exactly where the horse paddock was and she said that there was a Yellow Wagtail, but no sign of the Citrine Wagtail.

I walked up the road to West Hall and the horse paddock. No sign of any wagtails now! But, what a fantastic spot, especially the West Hall garden, which you can see most of from the road, full of shrubs, rosas, sycamores etc and a large grass lawn. Collared Dove seen here and a Blackbird. Starlings and Blackbirds in the horse paddock. Lots of bird movement here with at least 100+ Meadow Pipits, which were flying in, landing briefly and flying off again. Hugh H. joined me briefly as he hadn't seen the wagtail yet either, he then left and went to Seafield Park. Later on I felt pretty sure ish, that I had the Citrine Wagtail with Pieds at the top of the paddock, when I was standing at the bottom along the road – they all landed for a very short while, under a minute probably and I couldn't really see clear enough to be sure. Something spooked them and they all flew off over the fence, house and towards the beach. I walked up as far as you can and scanned for a while but no sign. A short while later, Hugh rang me to see had the Citrine Wagtail at Seafield Park area.

Citrine Wagtail in garden near Seafield Park, Lerwick
 
Pied Wagtail
Labelled incorrectly last night!

 

Speed walked/ran back to my car, where Jim N. was also and we both headed up to Seafield Park to join several birders watching the Citrine Wagtail on someone's lawn, opposite the the stone wall that is the right hand side, when you drive into the car park. Its the garden with two large stone pillars at the driveway. Fabulous views were had here! The light was the wrong way though and I have far too many not particularly pleasing shots. Pied Wagtails here also. Jill W. then turned up too and later on she got picture of the day! She was standing by the wall photographing the Citrine Wagtail amongst a tallish grassy area with a puddle in the playing field – when she showed me on the camera, one shot in particular, looking cracking!

Returned to my car to have late lunch. Then Chris turned up (can't remember his surname) who we met on Foula. Jill returned to her car to join Rob and I stood for ages chatting with them about the house I had looked at and general catch up! Then Ray O'Reilly and Lyn Griffiths arrived – so lovely to see them here, they had just returned from going to the Outer Skerries this morning! I looked for the Citrine Wagtail again, but it had vanished. I continued walking along the path of sycamores next to the park and found an amazing house at the end and also some beautiful flowers lining a drive to another house – they looked like massive purple crocuses – I have no idea what they were?! I then headed along a fabulously exciting sycamore lined track which leads back to Seafield Road and the sea. No birds seen here, but huge potential for tired migrants!

Autumn Crocuses by a house near Sea Road, Lerwick
 

Along the road, I suddenly spotted a Wheatear that landed on the rocks below the road and sat in a hunched position and for a split second, I thought I had a Desert Wheatear – it just looked different and the way it was sitting, really got me questioning what I was looking at. It looked more orangy and quite striking, plus it looked more rounded in the belly than a Wheatear. I took some pictures (it was distant) and then Ray and Lyn drove past me in their car and after showing Ray the picture, he confirmed that it was just a Wheatear – oh well!

Wheatear along Sea Road, Lerwick

Returned the same route back to my car. Drenched now. Went to Tescos with bedraggled dripping hair to do what was supposed to be a top up shop, but it came to £55! Showing my age now, I can remember the days when I first left home, when three heavy bags of shopping was around £15!!! Massive relief when I returned to my street to find that there was one parking space left!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds as if you've had a great day Penny, I'm pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The large crocus like flowers are Colchicum, known as autumn crocus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The large crocus like flowers are Colchicum, also known as autumn crocus. Tim Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny the flowers which you photographed are Autumn crocuses some people call them naked ladies reason being the leaves appear first then die off then the flowers appear i have quite a few

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all SO much for taking the time to tell me that the flowers for Autumn Crocuses, much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete