SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 4 February 2012

Snowed in!!!

I awoke to a magical, sunny, sparkly white scene - the heaviest frost I have seen lately. I didn't hurry this morning as I was birthday shopping for my mother and Lucy, so knew I wouldn't get much birding done. Topped up the bird feeders and table and bashed out the solid block of ice from the bird bath. Put a second bath outside and filled that one with warm water - I read somewhere that birds love to bathe in warm water in this kind of weather and why not! Whilst having my breakfast I sat and watched a good selection of birds in my garden: a song thrush, 2 robins, collared dove, wood pigeons, hedge sparrow, blue tit, blackbirds and 2 starlings who ate my daily ration of meal worms at a tremendous speed! The robins raided the raisons first, almost as soon as I had shut the patio door!

Walked into town to buy presents and do some errands and then ended up in the Wimpy, which actually was really nice - nice because a plate of food was put in front of me and I haven't cooked it and because it was relaxing sitting and people watching. I know a fast food take away is not exactly the Ritz but I prefer simple food and you can't beat fried eggs, hash brown and beans with toast and a cup of tea! All good for the waistline! Its pretty hectic at work at the moment and I tend to get quite stressed and very emotionally involved with my job - probably too much so. My one day off needs to be relaxing!

Caught the 1.30pm Coastliner bus to Holme to deliver mother's presents. As the bus arrived at Hunstanton I noticed that there was a light covering of snow, which I hadn't expected as King's Lynn was clear of snow. I had a really nice time chatting with my parents. At 3.30pm I decided to go for a walk in Holme. I walked along the main road and down Eastgate and past the church - a green woodpecker was feeding in the churchyard and a large flock of goldfinches were in a tree. Next to the church is my old primary school, which is now a weekend cottage. I have such fond memories of this little school. I continued to the junction with Peddars Way and walked north along 'Busseys Lane' and through 'NOA Redwell Marsh' to the pay hut and along the boardwalk path to 'Gore Point' and across the beach to the seas's edge. Good numbers of lapwing on the marsh and a marsh harrier distantly, but little else. From the boardwalk I watched a short-eared owl and a barn owl hunting over Holme marsh and 15 curlew flew over towards the 'Saltings'. On the shore there were sanderling, oystercatchers, redshanks, herring and black headed gulls etc. A group of what looked like eiders were sitting mid-distance on the sea, but with now fading light I couldn't be sure and also I didn't have my scope with me. The dunes had a good sprinkling of snow which made the beach look very atmospheric. The walk along the beach was so peaceful, there wasn't another person or dog in sight - a rare occurence! I walked back the same way and heard a tawny owl on route. I arrived back at my parents house just in time to pick up Lucy's presents (from my parents) and walk to the crossroads to catch the Coastliner back to King's Lynn. Still no sign of snow. I had another 25 minute walk to my house from where the bus dropped me.

7.45pm - snow started to fall. After dinner I baked a chocolate cake - a practice one before I make another for my sister's birthday next Friday. A major blizzard outside and several inches building up - can't see the cars by 10pm. 12am - just measured outside, there are 6 inches so far and its still falling heavily. Can't see the bird baths at all! Looks like I will be walking to work in wellingtons in the morning - bother!!! Also means my shifts will be seriously hard work as loads of staff won't be able to get in!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment