SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 17 June 2013

MEGA!!! ROLLER DAY TWO!!!

  ROLLER
Edgefield, Holt, Norfolk.

I am now beyond exhaustion – twitched the Roller again after work. Well I just had to. After doing what I did yesterday, I should have gone straight to bed when I finished work tonight. BUT a Roller in Norfolk – I don't care about the fact that I saw it yesterday, I NEEDED to see it again, truly I did! Last night I didn't see it until just before 8pm and the light was rubbish for photography etc. I wasn't going to miss an opportunity of seeing this bird a second time for anything, however tired I felt. My body and head aches right now. as I type at 11.15pm and I can't possible even think about looking through pictures and adding them to the various sites, will do this tomorrow evening.

Left at 5.20pm – ate my dinner on route: a egg and tomato roll bought at lunchtime from the hospital shop. Lorries poodling along in front and then someone else doing 40 in a 60mph - get out of my way!!! On route Eddie told me that the Roller had not shown for a while. As I pulled up in the carpark, Eddie and Andy J. were walking across the road and indicated to me that the Roller was now showing. Shot out of the car and across the road to hear that the bird had just flown over the tall copse of pines. I was chilled about it. My hysteria last night was not required this evening, I had already seen the bird. Several people arrived who had not seen the bird including Connor, Billy and Chris M. I decided to take the risk of missing the bird showing at this spot again and went off alone across the other side of the road and searched the heathland thoroughly, as this is where it also spends alot of time and where it was yesterday. Connor desperately wanted to see this bird and I just hoped I could re-locate it for him. I couldn't see the point of everyone standing in one spot and nobody searching the other side of the road. We obviously all agreed to phone each other if any of us saw/found the bird. Walking through the carpark I spotted a very well turned out Andy W. in his royal blue shirt straight from the office!

I walked along the long grassy path over the stile, down the hill, round the dragonfly pond and walked what seemed like miles. I covered every hill, path and copse in all the areas I walked yesterday and alot more. Several Yellowhammers seen, Woodlarks singing high in the sky and a surprise of a Turtle Dove! In an oak tree which stood on a hill right next to another one, I saw 6 mistle thrushes perched up (take note about these two trees!). This place is so beautiful and I really do intend to birdwatch here more often in future. I was shattered walking round here, but persevered. Eddie amused me with a 'seen briefly' text message along with a picture of a cake he had partly eaten! I eventually ended up back at the stile. At this point I met a birder coming out to search the area that I had. He asked me where I had looked and I indicated everywhere. I asked him if he had a pager or if he was in contact with anyone in the group by the Edgefield sign in case he found it. He replied that he wasn't but would come back if he found it. I left him to look and climbed the stile. I had only got as far as the oak tree, yards away when I could hear a loud whistle. I shot back when I heard the man say he had found it. Over that stile I went like it wasn't there! There was the roller distantly through his scope in the same bl**dy two trees that I had stood next to whilst watching the 6 mistle thrushes. Now, why after all the work I put in was it not me that re-found that bird! Don't get me wrong it was fabulous that he re-found it for all the people that had not seen it yet, but I just wish it had been me! Rang Eddie, Andy, Connor and then RBA. When I rang Connor I quickly realised he was not with the main group and had come out to search and was actually only 50 yards from me. The excitement in his voice when I told him it was here - he charged down the hill and up the next to look in the birder's scope who re-found it and looked so happy and relieved! I re-lived my same moment of euphoria last night when I saw his face! It took a while for the other birders to join us – its a long walk from the other viewing point – I know, I did it twice last night! What I love about a twitch in Norfolk aswell is seeing loads of people you know all at the same time, its brilliant. Nice to see Tim A. here and also James H. had nipped over! Even M. Gilbert (who I have never seen at a twitch), Andy Stoddart, Julian B., David N., R.M, etc etc. Lots of other people, too many to name. Goodness knows how many people have ticked that roller since yesterday. I had much better views in better light of this stupendous bird than I did last night. The bird flew over further back after a young (non birding) couple appeared not far from where it was. A few of us circled round at a different angle and watched the Roller sitting on a bare branch in perfect evening light, still very distantly though, but managed to get a much better record shot than my smudgy turquoise blobs taken last night! Tim A., Pete and I were the last ones left. It was cold walking back to the car, no midges this evening though. Heard a nightjar on the way back. Left at 10pm and home again at 11pm!

Fabulous video from Norfolk birder Peter HERE

Map HERE of Holt Lowes.

Yesterday's double twitch is a big post to write up and I can't possible write it now, will have to wait until tomorrow evening I'm afraid as will the pictures, sorry!

MORE PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment