SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 20 June 2013

Wells and Edgefield!

The first thing I did when I got home from work was to wash-up. If you are a single birder and you're out in the field alot, there is no one else at home to do the washing-up and chores! Its been so hectic with birds and twitching over the last week that I have got seriously behind with washing-up and all kinds of stuff. I have not cut the hedge yet this year and the neighbours are going to start complaining soon if I don't get it cut! Don't know when I am going to do that though, I haven't any intentions of doing it this weekend!

This evening I decided it would be jolly nice to see that wonderful Rose-coloured Starling again. Yes I know the light was awful and it was foggy, but I went anyway! There were a handful of birders there including Eddie, Andy J., Steve B and others, but the Rose-coloured Starling did not show at all this evening. Apparently it was last seen at 5.30pm flying into the large tree and had not come out again. I don't blame it really with this rubbish, dull weather! I did some loud coughing attempting to coax it out, but that didn't work this evening! I didn't stay here too long as I wanted to search for the roller.

Parked the car up at Edgefield and went to look for the Roller. I only passed two birders who had searched and found no sign of it. I don't know how many people had been looking today, but if there wasn't many, then there is no reason why it can't still be there. My instinct says it is still there. I predict that a message will come up on the pager tomorrow saying 'Roller still at.....' Saw a Yellowhammer and not much else, not really an evening for birds at all with this fog! Walked back to the car and crossed the road to stand by the clearing.

Heard and watched three Nightjars churring and flying right over my head which was absolutely magical and I had them all to myself! Managed to get some silhouette shots in flight too! Midges having a whale of a time,which was not so good!

Some of best pictures of the Rose-coloured Starling I have seen are HERE and HERE

PHOTOGRAPHS TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment