SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 1 September 2019

Titchwell RSPB, Wells, Garden Drove, Burnham Overy Staithe, Thornham and Holme!

I don't generally go to Titchwell RSPB until the afternoon, when the light is far better for the freshmarsh, but I wanted to see the big high tide this morning – I was a little late, but it was still quite high when I got there. It was a beautiful sunny day with a fresh breeze, none of the horrible sticky unbearable heat, that we have all been suffering. A straight west wind was never going to produce a haul of early Autumn migrants though, but it was good to be out.

23 Common Scoter flying east, a Great Crested Grebe on the sea, Oystercatchers and a Sandwich Tern were the only birds of note from the beach. Bumped into Ian, Paul and Chris, who kindly told me about a Wasp Spider along the main path, which I found after my second attempt of searching – a first me at Titchwell! On the freshmarsh were all the usual birds, plus: Avocets, Black-tailed Godwits, 26 Dunlin, 2 Herons, Little Egrets, a Cetti's Warbler heard and 1 Swift. I had intended on returning here later on when the light was better, but that didn't happen.

Headed east and spent what must have been several hours at North Point Pools, Wells. I have not been here for ages and it was good to be back. Without even leaving my car I saw a Great White Egret at the back of the eastern most pool. Birders are still not parking sensibly – on the right where I was, people had parked next to each other, but on the left side there were only 4 cars, one behind the other and it was full – could have got possibly 8 cars here if they had parked side by side – oh well.

The pool west of the path had considerably diminished since my last visit, but the dry mud still produced bird of the day – a strikingly orange Northern Wheatear which I found! Looks a good spot for a Pratincole sp.! Other birds seen here were: big numbers of Greylag Geese, Canada Geese, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpipers x 2, Snipe x 2, Little Egrets, Dunlins x 5, Whimbrel flew over, a few Ruff, Black-tailed Godwits, Teal, Mallard, Lapwings, Black-headed Gulls, Common Gulls, Herring Gulls, a huge Starling flock, Sparrowhawk, Swallows x 2, a Kingfisher (heard only), Linnet flock, Common Buzzards x 5. In all the time I was here, there was not a single Spoonbill, when they have been reported most days here.

A young Yellowhammer, Chaffinches, House Sparrows, a Robin and a Blackbird were feeding along the track, leading up to the concrete pad at Garden Drove, Warham Greens. I walked along Garden Drove to the copse at the end and back, but didn't see a single bird here! The evening light was beautiful and all the pigs in the field where skipping and playing around – they looked so carefree and happy – this will be short-lived!

Headed west and bought fish 'n' chips from the quayside at Wells. The high tide was filling the channels quickly and it was obvious that it would be tickling the quayside at 9pm! Parked up at Burnham Overy Staithe quay and enjoyed my fish 'n' chips, whilst watching the very high tide getting ever closer to my parked car. The sunset was stunning as it shimmered over the water and boats rocking gently in the water. If it wasn't for two noisy drones being flown over my head, it would have been very tranquil and peaceful here!

Spent the end of the day at Thornham Harbour and took arty farty pictures of the tide sweeping over the road and boat house. I wish I had known about the reported Pied Flycatcher at Chalk Pit Lane, Holme a little earlier – I knew when it came up on the pager, I wasn't going to make it in time with the rapidly failing light. I don't like the evenings drawing in at all. Arrived at the family home at Holme for a quick check and filled all the empty bird baths up and then headed back to King's Lynn.

No comments:

Post a Comment