SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 21 May 2020

Hot Birding At Dawn!

So, I made a big mistake last night. I was hot (it was the hottest day of the year yesterday) and when news came out at 3.55pm on the pager, that a Woodchat Shrike had been found at Kelling AND I didn't see this message until around 5pm, I simply didn't have the energy to drive all the way to Kelling Water Meadows for such a short time. After all, I had seen one before, it wasn't as if I needed it for Norfolk. Later that evening, I did a search on my blog to find that yes, I have seen one before, but in Suffolk!!! I couldn't find any info on me seeing one in Norfolk!!! I REALLY must do a list with dates of birds I have seen! So, as it stands I have missed out on seeing a possible first for Norfolk. I feel sure I have seen one in Norfolk though. Pre my blog I wrote everything on the Norfolk thread on Birdforum – I will have to do some research!

Because of this, I made sure I arrived on site extremely early this morning in hope that it may be there, but I didn't expect it to be. I arrived and parked up in the usual spot to walk to Kelling Water Meadows at 5.30am and I was the first one there! I knew it was going to be another hot day, as I didn't need my coat, even at this time! I made my way along the track and not far along I heard a Quail calling – once only though, in the first field on the left hand side. There were 2 beautiful Black Swans on the pool, which was a nice surprise (presumably the ones that have been around Norfolk for the last few weeks – they were at Holme for a while) along with 4 Mute Swans, 2 Canada Geese, Mallards and Shovelers. Several Cuckoos were calling, Blackcaps, Whitethroats and Sedge Warblers were singing. Other birds seen: Goldfinches, Reed Bunting, Stonechats x 4, Rooks, Avocets x 4, Herons x 2, Barnacle Geese x 2 flew in off the sea (at 7.30am). After much searching, it was obvious the Woodchat Shrike has left. At 6.15am two more local birders turned up and then four more after 7am – we covered a big area between us, but it had gone. Walked back to my car and sat on the shady seat under the trees and had a cup of tea and buttered scone. It was 9am and boiling hot already.

I headed west and couldn't even find the energy to walk to Gramborough Hill as there are barriers up preventing cars parking along Beach Road, which means the walk is longer, which is fine, but the heat was intense. I paused briefly by Walsey Hills and then went to the meadow near the sewage works, where a Swallowtail Butterfly was seen recently, just to have a look, you never know! Nothing much seen here. Left and went to Garden Drove at Warham.

I walked along the track with my deckchair and UV Sunblocker brolly! I sat in my chair for well over an hour in the midst of the copse at the end, gazing up into the large oak tree, in hope that something exciting would land in here off the sea, but no luck with that either! It was wonderfully cool here, thank goodness. All I saw were Chaffinches, 1 Blackcap and 1 Chiffchaff in the Oak tree. Got bored and trudged back along the boiling track to my car on the concrete pad. Headed west.

I spent a short time at North Point Pools at Wells, but didn't scan the pools thoroughly, as I couldn't stand the heat anymore. I saw that last night's Montagu's Harrier had resurfaced again at Kelling Water Meadows, oh well! I rarely go home early when I'm out birding, but I did today! Left at 3pm and headed home. I was overjoyed to see the best car washing team are back by the B1454 turn off – the car has finally been washed and looks like new! Also purchased some eggs from the Egg Shed at East Rudham and filled up with petrol in my local garage. My house was like a furnace when I got home!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Penny!
    I remember videoing a Woodchat at Holme in the late 90's: did you se that one?

    ReplyDelete