SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 17 August 2020

Birding at Hunstanton, Holme NWT & NOA!

GREENISH WARBLER
Distantly in the birch tree at Holme Bird Observatory, NOA
Massively cropped, but couldn't get any closer with 300mm lens


I drove towards Hunstanton and still hadn't made up my mind which way I was heading. Parked up and spent some time searching in Boston Sensory garden in Hunstanton – it always looks potentially brilliant, as its just over the road from the Bowling Green and cliff top and looks a nice little refuge for migrants. I have yet to find anything good in there though! Only birds found were Wood Pigeons, Goldfinches and a Robin. Cruised along the cliff top, which was packed out with cars, like it was a Bank Holiday Monday! Unbelievable crowd scenes in Hunstanton! I rang Holme Dunes NWT to ask if yesterday's Greenish Warbler had been seen, I was told it hadn't, but it had been seen at the NOA, so rang Sophie (Warden) to confirm this and it had indeed! So off I headed to Holme Reserves!

The NWT car park was packed out with holidaymakers, which again would not happen on a 'normal' Monday. I parked in the NOA car park and headed to the main bank that leads to the observatory. It was really nice to bump into people that I hadn't seen since before lockdown, including long time friends Pat and Geoff, local Holme resident Phil, Mike S., Keith T., Roger S., a lovely couple from East Norfolk (sorry, can't remember their names) and others. I sat in Richardson Hide for a while, then stood outside and was very lucky indeed – it didn't take too long at all before I had good, but distant views of the Greenish Warbler in the Birch Tree, along with 2 Pied Flycatchers, a Willow Warbler, Goldcrest and in the rest of the scrub, 1 Garden Warbler and 1 Whitethroat. I also got even luckier and managed to get some 'record' shots of the Greenish Warbler, which at that distance wasn't too bad at all with my 300mm lens!
GREENISH WARBLER
Distantly in the birch tree at Holme Bird Observatory, NOA
Massively cropped, but couldn't get any closer with 300mm lens


It was now really sticky hot and I couldn't stand it any longer, so left and returned to my car and re-parked by the 5-bar gate half way along the Firs Road. I walked to the NWT Forestry, as someone had seen a Redstart there I was told. Nothing to be found at all apart from a pair of Stonechats. Returned to my car and had thoughts about going to look for the Thornham Point Greenish Warbler, so headed to Titchwell RSPB.

It was the first time I had been to Titchwell since before lockdown in March. Within seconds of me parking up in the car park, a torrential storm erupted with torrents of rain lashing down – it lasted for ages and flooded the second car park enough for ducks to swim in! The heavy rain continued, so I put the seat back and attempted in vain to have a snooze. A bit later the pager bleeped up with Icterine Warbler in the bushes by the NOA car park! Bother! Left Titchwell and returned to Holme NOA car park. Bumped into Andy B. and wished him Happy New Year as I don't think I've seen him in 2020! Of course there was no sign of the Icterine Warbler or anyone else watching it or who had seen it. It was high tide so with the sun now out, it was a beautiful scene as I crossed over to the dunes and walked along the back of the pines. I was surprised I didn't see any Pied Flycatchers along here. Walked through HBO and didn't see the Greenish Warbler or any Pied Flycatchers in the birch tree. Bumped into Richard B. and he hadn't seen anything of note either. Headed back to my car and cruised home to King's Lynn. Too tired to process pictures, will sort through tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment