SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 4 May 2022

My Childhood Memories of Richard Richardson, His Paintings, History & More!

RICHARD RICHARDSON
© Peter Clarke
 

Exhibition of RAR'S work today at Cley NWT – See details in my link:

http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com/2022/05/richard-richardson-guardian-spirit-of.html

Today, the 4th May 2022 would have been Richard's centenary. It was a tragic loss to all who knew him, when he died prematurely at aged 55 in 1977. I remember my parents being absolutely heartbroken. Richard was my father's closest friend and was part of a network of birders from the "good old days" (mostly before I was born), including Peter Jackson and his wife Ruby & daughters Debbie and Ruth, Paul & Rosemary Kirby, Chris Knights, Geoff Want, Mick Grewcock, Barry Spence, Peter Allard, Michael & Sylvia Seago, Pat and Fred Britton, John Sheldrake, Mick Goodman and the list goes on.

Richard Allan Richardson was born in London on 4th May 1922. He lived in Cley between 1949 and 1977. Lots of information here for those of you that don't know him: https://www.henrywilliamson.co.uk/bibliography/a-lifes-work/posthumous-collections/65-bibliography/382-r-a-richardson

Richard Richardson was a great ornithologist and artist and lived at Cley in Norfolk with Mrs Dee (his landlady) in a terraced cottage next to what was the old post office along Holt Road, just round the corner from the "Picnic Fayre". Richard spent his time birdwatching and painting birds. Many of Richard's paintings were given to friends and these were and still are, very much treasured by all who are lucky enough to own one or more. Richard had a photographic memory and amazing eyesight and was loved by everyone he met, both young and old. He had a magnetic charisma, which drew everyone to him and he had a fantastic sense of humour I recall! I can still hear his chuckle! He was rarely seen without a Woodbine cigarette – I can remember him rolling these – sadly this was to be his downfall, ultimately leading to his death.

I remember travelling to Cley on the back of my father's Vespa Scoter to visit Richard, maybe a couple of times a year. My father was a slow driver and we always got off for a 'bottom' break (as I used to call it) at Burnham Overy Mill, just before the bridge, as the seat on the scooter was not exactly comfortable! I clearly remember arriving at the little terraced cottage where Richard lived and I can see him now, sitting at the table painting with a cigarette in hand. There were always several very yappy Norfolk Terriers racing round the rooms, who belonged to Mrs Dee, his landlady. Richard, my father and I would then walk through the village and to the East Bank, where we would spend the day birdwatching. Later we would return to the cottage for tea and cakes, provided by Mrs Dee! We would then return to Holme. I absolutely loved these trips to Cley.

My parents never had a car, well I lie.... father purchased a 3-wheeler car for a week, reversed it into the garden fence, lost confidence and sold it immediately! As children we never travelled at all really and had to rely on local buses, but mostly our bicycles, so visiting Cley was a huge treat in those days.

Whenever Richard visited us at Holme Bird Observatory, he would always produce three packets of Smarties for my sisters and I, from the pocket of his black leather trousers! I remember him wearing a black beret, black leather trousers and jacket and also a favoured black and white squared jumper. He drove a Norton motorbike. Both my sisters and I recall, that Richard especially loved my mother's famous chocolate buns she used to make, when he visited our house in Holme.

At Holme Bird Observatory, I recall very happy days with my parents, sisters, Richard Richardson, Peter & Ruby Jackson and daughters Ruth and Debbie. The Jacksons lived in Hertfordshire, but came up here to stay regularly and Richard would always visit when they stayed. Ruby was a very good cook and there was always lots of picnic food being shared around! Peter Jackson smoked a pipe and always wore a Fair Isle hat. I remember Peter and Richard always talking about Fair Isle, they had visited many times it seemed and I particularly recall them talking about the rough passage with "The Good Shepherd" boat and Peter Jackson's distinctive laugh, when ever he talked about the crossing! As a little girl, I dreamed of visiting Fair Isle when I was older and both Richard and Peter J. inspired me to do just that – I have been a few times now! My father never got to visit Fair Isle, which is a pity.

Peter Jackson sadly died many, many years ago, his wife Ruby only died last year, but my sisters and I both still keep in touch with Ruth and Debbie who are similar ages to us. Ruby was always especially close to my mother and was a wonderful lady "a true friend" my mother said and was very supportive to my sisters and I when our parents died. Both Ruth and Debbie came to both our parent's funerals and they still live in Hertfordshire.

Richard made annual trips to Fair Isle in June each year, which he fell in love with and wrote an article in the 'Lynn News and Advertiser' on Friday 9th September 1966, titled 'The Fair Isle Casts its Spell' which he illustrated with a birdwatcher being attacked by a bonxie and the Good Shepherd (boat) rocking in the waves! He was loved by the islanders there and made strong friendships.

It seems so long ago since I went to Richard's funeral at St Margaret's Church in Cley in 1977, I was 12 years old. I remember my sisters Lucy and Vivien were instructed to sit outside in the church gardens, as my parents felt they were too young to attend the funeral. I remember the church being packed out with mourners – every seat was full and people were standing, if I remember correctly. Richard's headstone is in Cley Churchyard in the section east of the main churchyard, just across Church Road.

I have several pictures of Richard that I took myself as a child, with my first Kodak Instamatic camera that my father bought for me. These pictures are packed up in boxes somewhere, I need to dig them out! I remember one with Richard sitting in the stripey deckchairs (some of you will remember these) with my little sisters sitting either side of him – all black and white pictures, no colour in those days!

Of note, my parents met on the East Bank at Cley, so this will always be a special place for me. We also laid our father's ashes to rest on the 4th May 2017 – in part because it had been Richard's birthday. So many happy memories of an idyllic childhood, maybe I should write a book?! Some of the things that have gone on in my life, would create a best seller!!!

My father had written his autobiography, which he completed several years before he died, this is yet to be published, another big project that I must get done! He typed it all up on a typewriter and being as I was a typesetter in the print trade for many years, I will enjoy typing all this up.... eventually!

Some of the many paintings and artwork that my sisters and I have inherited since our parents passed away and are destined to be donated to an appropriate museum eventually.













More unframed pictures to follow later........

 

15 comments:

  1. You _should_ write a book! But go easy on the exclamation marks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny
    Enjoyed reading about RR and your dad. You could consider using a self publisher such as Blurb to published your dad's book, it's very simple and cost effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very lucky for Richard to invite me to Fair Isle in 1975. I still have the sketch he did of the Hermit Thrush he did on the back of a Fair Isle postcard. A trip I will never forget. He came to our house and gave a slide show prior to the trip and left my ten year old sister a little pen sketch of the House Martins we had nesting.
    I must admit I thought his dogs were Norfolk Terriers (unless my memory is playing tricks Bee and Midge) but could easily be wrong. Of the help for a teen to recognise a bird song e.g. a Sedge is like a Reed warbler song but slightly less annoying. Richard had an amazing ability to be inclusive to all - no matter of birding ability or social class, never patronised, alongside a very clear depth of knowledge of birding that was astonishing, but also an incite into human nature. A remarkable man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your fabulous memories of Richard. Yes, I'm sure you are right about the "Norfolk" Terriers, I will correct, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Wow fantastic memories. Never had fortune to meet RAR, but heard lots of anecdotes. He was ‘taken’ before being able to drive myself to Norfolk which I took to frequently from late 70’s through the 80’s. My visits always included a trip to Holme though to be warmly welcomed by your dad with his welcoming smile and latest gen on what was around. Your blog now reminds me of his little scooter which was always at the centre and the occasional times I’d see him riding it up the pot-hole ridden track. Thanks for the memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind memories of my father, the pot-holed track remains the same!

      Delete
  5. What an amazing childhood, unfortunately the world has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes sadly things change, sometimes for better, sometimes not so!

      Delete
  6. Great post Penny, although I never met Richard, ( I live too far away) he was and still is a great hero of mine. His paintings have a lovely smoky misty atmosphere to them with blues and greys, that I always remember. They are a base line that all others have to match in my opinion. Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stewart, thank you for your thoughts on RAR, a truly great artist.

      Delete
  7. Hello Penny, what a magic piece, I really enjoyed reading that. And I agree with all the other comments, you should write a book! RAR was a hero of mine too, but sadly when I first started birding in Norfolk it was in the early 80s. I can still remember the magical feeling of visiting such legendary places like Holme and Cley!

    ReplyDelete