SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 4 May 2022

RAR’s Centenary Evening Reception at Cley NWT!

RICHARD RICHARDSON
© Peter Clarke
 
Richard Richardson's headstone this afternoon
East side of St Margaret's Church, Cley

 

I would normally be at work on a Wednesday, but booked today off as holiday. My day commenced with deciding to photograph all my RAR artworks, all unframed paintings, pen and pencil drawings, sketches with notes etc. This took quite a long time. I really need to scan them in properly with my old, but brilliant Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner, but this will take far longer to do (plus some too large for an A4 scanner) and in any case my iphone does a pretty decent job. I then 'Air Dropped' them to my iPad Pro, to take to the RAR event for others to see if time allowed. I was shocked when I counted that there were 126 pieces of artwork, as well as the 14 framed pictures I posted earlier today – 140 artworks in total. All of this work will eventually go to a designated museum, as my late father requested.

Later in the afternoon, I headed to Cley Churchyard to see Richard's gravestone. I admit I have not been for a while, so it was nice to return on what would have been his 100th birthday and it was a glorious sunny day. The east section of the churchyard is especially beautiful and is surrounded by an old stone wall, wild flowers and mature trees. Birds were singing as I pondered with my memories, back in time to my childhood with my parents, sisters, Richard, family friends and many happy, sunny days.

I then drove to Beach Road in Cley, parked the car up and scanned the cattle fields for wagtails, but none found. I sat at Coastguards for a while to pass the time for a short while, before heading to the Cley NWT visitor centre, where tonight's event would start at 6.30pm. Swallows were skimming across the Eye Field and behind me I watched and heard my first Sandwich Terns this Spring – an idyllic scene.

 *  *  *  *  *

 RAR’s Centenary Evening Reception at Cley NWT

 
A fabulous meeting of so many amazing people from years gone by, to celebrate what would have been RAR's 100th birthday today 4th May 2022. The video below includes artworks by RAR, mostly original, but some prints also (on loan from owners), artifacts and footage of people attending the event, including well known naturalists, authors, photographers, birders and NWT staff. 

I was amongst the first people to arrive in the car park at 6pm, but I noticed Chris Knights had got there just before me. I sat in the car for a while and then realised guests were being allowed into the venue a little earlier than 6.30pm. The skies opened with very heavy rain showers, so I had to pick my moment to run from the car – couldn't get my hair wet!!!

I had intended on getting here earlier in the day, so that I could take a better video of the exhibition, when less people were around, but I didn't make it until this evening's event, so had to do my best to film all the beautiful paintings on show, with lots of people around – first video below, along with some very short footage after that. There were so many people to catch up with and several lovely people that I didn't know, but who read my blog – it was great to chat with you all. One particular couple told me an amusing story about my father and the HBO – can't remember the man's name, but he said that "we couldn't afford to buy permits in those days" so would arrive at Holme early morning and as soon as they heard my father's scooter engine, they would disappear so they didn't get caught!!! 🀣! So naughty! πŸ˜‰ So many birders/twitchers did this, it used to infuriate my father! 🀭

A truly memorable evening, organised by Moss Taylor and assisted by several others, including Mark Golley, James McCallum (who artistically hung all the artworks the day before), friends helping to do the Raffle and the Auction and all the wonderful NWT staff, who catered and served the most wonderful selection of buffet food and to anyone else I may have missed, thank you all very much indeed.


This film was taken just as people started to arrive and many more arrived later on

My favourite painting – if this was for sale at auction,
I would be the last one bidding!

Owned by Moss Taylor, so sadly not ever for sale!

 My second favourite painting was a large portrait of a Bonxie in flight and also the wonderful studies of a Pratincole, both of which you can see in my video above

Richard's last motorcycle helmet and goggles,
given to Ray Bayfield of Cley in 1977, along with his last motorcycle,
a Norton Commando 850cc.
 
Some of the RAR memorabilia on show

 

The evening commenced with an introduction from Moss Taylor about Richard life, as there were a few people attending, who didn't know Richard so well as others. Then, several speakers shared their very fond memories of Richard, including Chris Knights who always speaks well, with his usual humour thrown in – he always has people laughing (my late father used to do slide shows with him back in the day). One gentleman (sorry, I can't remember his name), who used to work for the East Anglian Daily Times (for over forty years he told us) told a very emotional story of the short, but profound three years he had known Richard up until his death in 1977, including accompanying him on what would be Richard's last trip to Fair Isle, when he suddenly and unexpectedly became quite ill – the gentleman speaking found it quite difficult to tell us this particular story, but I take my hat off to him completely, as public speaking is my worst fear.

Moss Taylor had asked me a couple of times over the last few months, if I would like to speak this evening. I would have liked to, but I simply couldn't do it, I can waffle on with no issues whatsoever to a handful of people, but any more than that and I'm the exact opposite! I'm actually a very shy person, but it may not always come across that way. When I spoke to Moss on the phone a few days ago, he very kindly said that he would give me or anyone else the opportunity so speak after the other main speakers, so this took the pressure off, but when it came to it, I couldn't do it! I decided to put pen to paper instead and posted all my memories earlier today on my blog here – I can write better than I can speak, although when I'm tired, that may be questionable, as Richard Brooks loves to point out to me at times!

After the wonderful speeches, an Auction and Raffle were held. I was one of several people who wrote a brief memory and signed in Moss Taylor's book "Guardian Spirit of the East Bank: A Celebration of the Life of R.A.Richardson" and this was was one of the items in the auction. I had purchased some raffle tickets earlier in the evening and to my shock won a bottle of "Antech Limoux Tradition Brut"!! I was having a very lucky day, as had won £50 on the Premium Bonds too! I was asked to pull the next winning ticket out of the bag, which was Steve Gantlett, who also won the same bubbly as me – enjoy! Any money made after covering costs, is being donated equally between the NOA and NWT.

Besides the organisers of the event, there were lots of old and new faces here – it was so lovely to see Chris Knights again, Peter Allard and friend, Andy Wilkinson (my ex and good friend, very cheeky and always makes me laugh!) with Justin Lansdell, Geoff & Pat Douglas with their glamourous daughter who I met for the first time, Roger Tidman, James McCallum, Neil Bostock, Emma Buck and partner, Lynne P., nice to see Brian Bland who I spoke to briefly, Richard Porter, Suzanne C. & Richard W., Tony Marr, Francis Farrow who told me a wonderful little story of my mother, who quote "when she arrived on the East Bank at Cley, everyone knew she was there – she always had lots of gossip" (this was before she married my father)!!! This was so lovely to hear and I would love to chat to Francis again, if you would like to get in touch (email on blog). Talking of gossip: my mother used to date Richard before she met and married my father! I don't know exactly what when wrong, but then I don't think my mother did either when she recalled the story to me long ago! Been there, done that – given up!

Well known author and naturalist Mark Cocker was also there, along with ex NWT Warden Bernard Bishop, also Robina Churchyard (with Moss Taylor), Simon Cox and many others including one of the speakers who was an author of a book on birds in Essex I think? There was also a very interesting lady speaker at the end, who was the niece of Peggy Meiklejohn, who was another keen birdwatcher from the day. I've also just remembered another very fascinating person and friend of RAR, Elizabeth Forster who was an Ornithologist and my mother told me that Elizabeth worked for the BBC and was also a world famous knitting pattern designer, travelled the world and lived in Wiveton – I think I remember my mother saying that she worked for Elizabeth for a short while, doing typing, short-hand, PA work – see some links here and here.

There was not enough time to look at all the wonderful memorabilia and chat to everyone – the time disappeared so quickly. There were approximately 80 people there and I think they could have had a few hundred, as I had heard that was a "big waiting list", but obviously the NWT could only cater for and allow a maximum number etc. After browsing as much memorabilia as I could, I was reminded of the little cards that my father used to sell at the NOA, they were in packs of five different cards, white cards with black line drawings of birds by RAR – I remember as Assistant Warden (for which I was paid £2.00 for the weekend from my father's own pocket) that it was one of my jobs to pack all these up. I also remembered that I used to hand paint (watercolours) with my sable brushes, some of Richard's cards and these would be sold at a higher price. I was reminded of this when I saw one of these cards this evening in a frame – the owner may well believe it was Richard who painted the card, but alas it wasn't – it was me!

Only a few people got to look at my iPad full of RAR artworks, including Mark G., Andy W. and James Mc. If anyone else would like to look, please get in touch, as I don't know if or when I will get round to putting that many on my blog!!! I was one of the last to leave and got home around 10.40pm. A fabulous evening and I also realised this was my first evening out socially with other people and with no mask since before Covid began!

Huge thanks to Moss Taylor and all involved in organising this fabulous and memorable event!

RAR Centenary Evening Reception
Published on the NWT Youtube channel on 25th May 2022

Richard Richardson's headstone this afternoon
East section of St Margaret's Church, Cley
 
 
Richard's legacy and memory lives on, along with my dearest parents
So many wonderful happy childhood memories
Spent with so many special, creative and inspiring people
Along with many others – you all know who you are
Forever in my thoughts, now and always
 
πŸ•Š πŸ•Š πŸ•Š
 
Today, we scattered our father's ashes at Holme,
five years ago on 4th May 2017

2 comments:

  1. Was Mr Bland wearing shorts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frederic LANDES25 May 2022 at 14:42

    Hello, Penny,
    I am sorry we did not have a chat together on this beautiful evening.
    I enjoyed reading your post today.
    I trust that you might like watching the video I made to celebrate Richard’s birth centenary. NWT have posted it today on their YouTube channel.
    John Grants is the Suffolk journalist you mentioned in your post.
    Thank you for all the details your shared.
    Best regards
    Frederic

    ReplyDelete